- Al Sharpton, Trayvon Martin’s parents rally against Fla. ‘stand your ground’ law
- Hillary Clinton campaign got illicit funds from D.C. scandal figure
- Obama administration backs off plan to cut prescription-drug program
- Tickets linked to stolen passports purchased by Iranian middleman
- More than 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Ottawa day care suspends 2-year-old for ‘outside’ cheese sandwich
- Liam Neeson tells NYC mayor to ‘man up’ in horse carriage fight
- Real-life Dr. Doolittle to reveal how to talk to animals
- Climate change could bring back smallpox, researchers say
- Shoe-bomb witness to speak from London at N.Y. trial
Police: $800 million worth of pot seized in raids
UKIAH — An estimated $800 million worth of marijuana has been seized in a massive raid on public lands deep in Northern California’s pot country, authorities said Tuesday.
The three-week effort, known as Operation Full Court Press, to purge the Mendocino National Forest of illegal gardens, led to the seizure of more than 632,000 marijuana plants. The operation resulted in 132 arrests with 118 people booked on federal and state charges and 14 detained on immigration violations.
In previous years, officials have blamed Mexican drug cartels for some of the state’s largest growing operations, but Ms. Gregory stopped short of making that claim.
The $800 million tally for the seized plants is a conservative estimate, said John Heil, a regional spokesman for the U.S. Forest Service. The amount is based on a street value of marijuana being worth about $2,500 per pound, he said.
Lawmaker wants burro racing as state’s official summer sport
DENVER— There’s a move afoot to make burro racing Colorado’s official summer sport.
State Rep. Tom Massey, a Republican, says skiing has been declared the official winter sport, so he plans to sponsor a resolution next year declaring pack burro racing as the official summer sport of Colorado.
Today’s competitions are five to 29 miles long. Competitors run alongside the donkeys, which are required to carry 33-pound packs and mining tools.
One killed, two wounded in check-cashing store shooting
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Conference showed that the values Reagan cherished still endure
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- CARNES: Kissinger's flawed and offensive analysis of Ukraine
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
- George Zimmerman signs autographs at Orlando gun show
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again