- California’s Jerry Brown cites God, ‘religious call’ to embrace illegals
- Hamid Karzai’s cousin killed by suicide bomber at Eid al-Fitr party
- Obama thanks Muslims for ‘building the very fabric of our nation’
- Israel flattens home of top Hamas leader, takes out power plant
- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
Padres put 3B Headley and RHP Frieri on DL
Question of the Day
Logan Forsythe started at third base for the second consecutive game.
The 24-year-old Darnell was batting .317 with 23 homers and 75 RBIs in 102 games between Double-A San Antonio and Tucson this season. He was chosen for the Futures Game during All-Star week.
The Padres began the day last in the majors with 63 home runs. They were batting .235, worst in the NL. Still, they arrived in New York on an offensive tear that had keyed a four-game winning streak.
San Diego also transferred outfielder Brad Hawpe from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day DL. Hawpe had Tommy John surgery on his left elbow.
LeBlanc is slated to pitch in place of right-hander Dustin Moseley, who had season-ending surgery last week on his non-throwing shoulder. Moseley dislocated his left shoulder while hitting a single July 26.
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- EPSTEIN: All IRS roads lead to the archivist
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- PRUDEN: When the hangman botches the job
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia's gay marriage ban
- KEENE: Thinking outside nanny-state box with Paul Ryan
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq