- Elton John blasts Russia’s anti-gay laws during Moscow concert
- U.N.: Afghanistan slow to enforce law protecting women
- Heart cancels SeaWorld concert after ‘Blackfish’ documentary
- South Carolina sheriff refuses to lower American flag for Nelson Mandela
- South Africans hold day of prayer for Nelson Mandela
- Mandela not on life support in final hours, friend says
- Ukraine protesters topple, decapitate Lenin statue in Kiev
- Kim Jong-un’s uncle removed from North Korean state documentary
- Thailand crisis deepens as opposition quits Parliament
- Campbell Soup apologizes for SpaghettiOs’ Pearl Harbor tweet
SANDS: U.S. youths in action at home and abroad
1. e4 c5 2. Nc3 a6 3. Nge2 d6 4. g3 e5 5. Bg2 g6 6. d3 Bg7 7. Be3 Nc6 8. Qd2 Be6 9. 0-0 Nge7 10. f4 Nd4 11. Nd1 0-0 12. c3 Nxe2+ 13. Qxe2 exf4 14. Bxf4 Qd7 15. Nf2 Nc6 16. Qd2 Rfe8 17. Bh6 Bh8 18. Be3 Qd8 19. Rae1 Bxa2 20. Ng4 Ne5 21. Nh6+ Kf8 22. d4 cxd4 23. cxd4 Nd7 24. b3 Bxb3 25. Qb4 Qb6 26. d5 1-0.
Karamsetty-Gu, Barber K-8 Tournament of Champions, August 2011
1. e4 c6 2. d4 d5 3. Nc3 dxe4 4. Nxe4 Bf5 5. Ng3 Bg6 6. h4 h6 7. Nf3 Nd7 8. h5 Bh7 9. Bd3 Bxd3 10. Qxd3 e6 11. Bd2 Ngf6 12. O-O-O Be7 13. Qe2 O-O 14. Ne5 c5 15. Nxd7 Qxd7 16. dxc5 Qa4 17. Kb1 Rac8 18. Bc3 Rxc5 19. Bxf6 gxf6 20. Ne4 Rc4 21. Rh4 Rb4 22. c3 f5 23. Nf6+ Kg7 24. Rxb4 Bxb4 25. Nd7 Be7 26. Nxf8 Kxf8 27. Rd4 Qc6 28. f3 Bf6 29. Rd1 Kg7 30. Qf2 a5 31. Qg3+ Kh7 32. Qd6 Qc4 33. Qd7 Kg7 34. Qxb7 Qh4 35. Qb5 Qxh5 36. Qxa5 Qh2 37. Qc5 e5 38. b4 Qf4 39. b5 e4 40. Qb4 Qe3 41. Kc2 Qe2+ 42. Rd2 Qe1 43. Qc4 Bg5 44. Rd1 Qf2+ 45. Kb3 exf3 46. Rd7 Kf6 47. Qxf7+ Ke5 48. Rd5+ 1-0.
• David R. Sands can be reached at 202/636-3178 or by email at email@example.com.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Raised in Northern Virginia, David R. Sands received an undergraduate degree from the University of Virginia and a master’s degree from the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University. He worked as a reporter for several Washington-area business publications before joining The Washington Times.
At The Times, Mr. Sands has covered numerous beats, including international trade, banking, politics ...
- SANDS: Shark attack: Miami wins first U.S. Chess League title
- SANDS: Magnus Carlsen's future bright as the new king of chess
- Norway's Magnus Carlsen wins world chess title
- Magnus Carlsen on verge of world chess title with quick win over champion
- SANDS: Carlsen close to chess title as Anand cracks under endgame pressure
Latest Blog Entries
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Obama: Hole U.S. 'digging out of' requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- FENNO: Mike Shanahan's empty words no salve to free-falling Redskins
- Sen. Rand Paul: Supreme Court needs to re-examine Fourth Amendment
- Ezekiel Emanuel: If you want to pay more for your doctor, you can under Obamacare
- Obamas call to close Vatican embassy is 'slap in the face' to Roman Catholics
- Rush Limbaugh: Obama trying to make Mandela death about himself
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Al Maurer provides a common sense, conservatarian, Constitutional conservative perspective from the battleground state of Colorado
Film Reviews and Articles by Kevin Williams
"Critical thinking is thinking about your thinking while you're thinking in order to make your thinking better." - Dr. Richard Paul
Go beyond tourism's "top 10" bus tour destinations with Susan McKee as she explores the varied history, culture, food, and gardens, of the world.
Let it snow
White House pets gone wild!