- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
- Michaels craft chain confirms hackers hit 3M customers
- Special Forces’ suicide rates hit record levels — casualties of ‘hard combat’
- Many Americans would quickly face financial hardship after losing job, poll shows
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford thanks supporters at re-election campaign bash
- Texas seizes polygamist Warren Jeffs’ 1,600-acre ranch
- Publisher unveils Hillary Clinton’s new memoir — ‘Hard Choices’
- Britain’s Labour Party hires David Axelrod — but can’t spell his name
- Washington and Lee law students demand ban on Confederate flag, say Gen. Lee was racist
Breaking down the bowl season
Based on the close game they played the first time around, it’s no wonder the BCS championship game between LSU and Alabama had the closest odds among the 35 bowls, opening at one point on the Glantz-Culver line and a pick ‘em as of Tuesday.
The next closest spread was 1 1/2 points: Arkansas State over Northern Illinois in the GoDaddy.com Bowl and Auburn over Virginia in the Chick-fil-A Bowl.
The biggest spread? Oklahoma at plus-14 over Iowa in the Insight Bowl. Highest over/under is 74 1/2 points between Oklahoma State and Stanford in the Fiesta Bowl.
The longest trip will be Southern Mississippi in the Hawaii Bowl, a distance of (we’re ballparking here) 4,200 miles.
Longest kids-in-the-car trip? Illinois at the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl in San Francisco, a distance of just over 2,100 miles. That’s roughly 31 hours with long, horizon-rarely-changes sections through the Midwest and Nevada, so good luck if you try that one.
8 - Wins in Texas this season by Baylor, which plays in the Alamo Bowl in San Antonio.
13 - Straight seasons Oklahoma has gone to a bowl game.
22.67 - Points Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III is responsible for per game.
41 - Years since Louisiana-Lafayette last played in a bowl game. The Ragin’ Cajuns face San Diego State in the New Orleans Bowl.
91 - Solo tackles by Tulsa linebacker Curnelius Arnick, most of any player in a bowl game and third in the nation.
599 - Yards of offense averaged by Houston, best in the nation.
986 - Over/under on the number of times TV announcers say Urban Meyer’s name during the Gator Bowl between his former team, Florida, and his new one, Ohio State.
1,037 - Combined yards averaged by Fiesta Bowl foes Oklahoma State and Stanford during the regular season.
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- Prosecutors seek arrest warrant for ferry captain in South Korea
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- With pot and e-cigarettes, Big Tobacco is just waiting to inhale emerging markets
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- CBO shows it's Paul Ryan 4, Obama 0 on budget targeting
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.