- DOJ reaches largest-ever federal government settlement over auto loan discrimination
- U.S. Navy to start giving gay couples marriage benefits in Japan
- Sen. Harry Reid goes to hospital as a precaution
- Fla.’s Trey Radel exits rehab, ‘excited’ to resume congressional role
- U.S. nuclear general boozed it up, chased ‘hot women’ in Russia: report
- 45 Calif. students at one school test positive for tuberculosis exposure
- Rob Ford on women: Give them cash ‘and they are happy’
- Ku Klux Klan group holds recruitment meeting in Maryland
- Airport assassination: Mayor, 3 others killed at Manila airport
- Tea party-type lawmakers take mysterious, off-books trip to Mideast
Breaking down the bowl season
Question of the Day
Based on the close game they played the first time around, it’s no wonder the BCS championship game between LSU and Alabama had the closest odds among the 35 bowls, opening at one point on the Glantz-Culver line and a pick ‘em as of Tuesday.
The next closest spread was 1 1/2 points: Arkansas State over Northern Illinois in the GoDaddy.com Bowl and Auburn over Virginia in the Chick-fil-A Bowl.
The biggest spread? Oklahoma at plus-14 over Iowa in the Insight Bowl. Highest over/under is 74 1/2 points between Oklahoma State and Stanford in the Fiesta Bowl.
The longest trip will be Southern Mississippi in the Hawaii Bowl, a distance of (we’re ballparking here) 4,200 miles.
Longest kids-in-the-car trip? Illinois at the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl in San Francisco, a distance of just over 2,100 miles. That’s roughly 31 hours with long, horizon-rarely-changes sections through the Midwest and Nevada, so good luck if you try that one.
8 - Wins in Texas this season by Baylor, which plays in the Alamo Bowl in San Antonio.
13 - Straight seasons Oklahoma has gone to a bowl game.
22.67 - Points Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III is responsible for per game.
41 - Years since Louisiana-Lafayette last played in a bowl game. The Ragin’ Cajuns face San Diego State in the New Orleans Bowl.
91 - Solo tackles by Tulsa linebacker Curnelius Arnick, most of any player in a bowl game and third in the nation.
599 - Yards of offense averaged by Houston, best in the nation.
986 - Over/under on the number of times TV announcers say Urban Meyer’s name during the Gator Bowl between his former team, Florida, and his new one, Ohio State.
1,037 - Combined yards averaged by Fiesta Bowl foes Oklahoma State and Stanford during the regular season.
By John McAfee
- Breaking Fad: Alligators becoming the new pit bulls for drug dealers, cops say
- D.C. to tout Obamacare among youth waiting for Air Jordans
- Huge backlash mounts over suspension of 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson
- TARGET credit card theft swells to 40 million victims
- Special ops vets slam military benefit cuts
- Obama: 2014 will be 'breakthrough year' for U.S.
- Dems use new filibuster rules to approve DHS nominee Alejandro Mayorkas under investigation
- Obamacare 'pajamas boy' gets roundly mocked
- Citing 'unfair system,' Obama commutes sentences for 8 crack offenders
- Homeland Security helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Our Choice: Individual responsibility and self-government or the abandonment of the American Revolution
Al Maurer provides a common sense, conservatarian, Constitutional conservative perspective from the battleground state of Colorado
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow