- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Middle Eastern firm’s deal to manage U.S. cargo port raises security concerns
- Bob McDonnell’s defense: Lonely wife developed ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House Republicans unveil bill to speed deportations of border children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
Ovechkin, Neuvirth lift Capitals to 1-0 win over Jets
Question of the Day
WINNIPEG, Manitoba — Alex Ovechkin scored with 1:14 left, and Michal Neuvirth made 26 saves for his first shutout of the season in the Washington Capitals' 1-0 victory over the Winnipeg Jets on Thursday night.
Washington improved to 4-4 since Dale Hunter took over as coach.
Pavelec made 27 saves for Winnipeg. The Jets had won five straight at home.
It was the third of six meetings this season between the Southeast Division rivals. The Jets beat Washington in Winnipeg and lost on the road in overtime.
Winnipeg had two more power plays in the second, but only put one shot on Neuvirth with the man advantage.
Washington, which also had a power play in the second, sent 12 shots at Pavelec, who was making his 27th start of the season.
Ovechkin, who was booed every time he touched the puck, didn’t have a shot on goal until late in the second period.
The teams traded power plays in the third period, but the Jets didn’t even get one shot on Neuvirth with their advantage.
NOTES: Jets forward Jim Slater played his 400th NHL game, all with the Winnipeg/Atlanta franchise. … Ovechkin has up 65 points in his career against the Winnipeg/Atlanta franchise, more than any other team he’s played against.
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- McCLAUGHRY: Finish off the "Islamic State" quickly and cheaply
- PRUDEN: When the hangman botches the job
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world