- Associated Press - Thursday, December 15, 2011

COLOMBO, SRI LANKA (AP) - A counsel for a Sri Lankan news website says the government is restoring access to the site unavailable for more than a month over alleged insults.

Saliya Pieris, counsel for the srilankamirror.com, said the Telecommunication Regulatory Commission agreed to unblock the site on several conditions. One is that it will not provide links to other sites still blocked by the commission.

The media ministry ordered six news websites blocked last month, saying they committed character assassination and insulted people including key political leaders.

Later, srilankamirror.com editor Keluma Shivantha filed fundamental rights application in the Supreme Court against the blocking.

Rights groups criticized the move as undemocratic. Sri Lankan laws do not restrict the press from criticizing leaders, but media can be charged for defamation.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide