- HUMPRHIES: The Liberal Bully of the Week is …
- Secret Service threatened to kill Mr. Met if he got close to President Clinton, book claims
- Sarah Palin to campaign for Senate candidate Ben Sasse in Nebraska
- Boise business entices customers to come break stuff — ‘recreational destruction’
- Fired Yahoo exec’s $60 million golden parachute may be a record
- Arkansas gynecologist snapped nude photos of patients, police say
- Anthony Weiner on his current sexting habits: ‘None of your business’
- Producers eye Capitol Hill for latest reality TV hit
- No selfie awareness: Obama, Biden mug for Instagram as Ukraine implodes
- Putin to Snowden: We don’t collect droves of data on everyone like the U.S.
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Nagging Kagan question
The president may be experiencing buyer’s remorse where Supreme Court Justice Elena Kagan is concerned (“Kagan must recuse from Obamacare case,” Commentary, Friday). There is the question of a conflict of interest from when Justice Kagan was solicitor general and whether now, in adherence to the law, she will recuse herself from the Supreme Court’s hearings on the constitutionality of Obamacare.
At her confirmation hearings, Justice Kagan said she would recuse herself from any case in which she “officially formally approved something” or “played a substantial role.” Ironically, she may wind up being the nail in the coffin of Obamacare, the president’s signature enactment.
Let’s not forget that Mr. Obama arranged for Obamacare to be slipped into passage surreptitiously in the dead of night on Christmas Eve 2009 - to the horror of most Americans. I wouldn’t put it past this administration to come up with some absolution to disregard the law so that Justice Kagan will not be disqualified to rule on this pivotal case.
If the Supreme Court does not find Obamacare unconstitutional, it will be crucial that the next (Republican) president, elected in 2012, repeal this albatross as one of the first things he does after taking office. A Republican president in 2012 who will uphold the Constitution is the last best hope for America.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- CURL: The state of the Union worse than you thought
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support demonstrates voters' distrust
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare disasters were avoidable
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Muhammad wouldn't condone Boston bombing
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: High heels: Hazardous to one's health?
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Marshall's comments hurt GOP, pro-lifers