- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Nagging Kagan question
Question of the Day
The president may be experiencing buyer’s remorse where Supreme Court Justice Elena Kagan is concerned (“Kagan must recuse from Obamacare case,” Commentary, Friday). There is the question of a conflict of interest from when Justice Kagan was solicitor general and whether now, in adherence to the law, she will recuse herself from the Supreme Court’s hearings on the constitutionality of Obamacare.
At her confirmation hearings, Justice Kagan said she would recuse herself from any case in which she “officially formally approved something” or “played a substantial role.” Ironically, she may wind up being the nail in the coffin of Obamacare, the president’s signature enactment.
Let’s not forget that Mr. Obama arranged for Obamacare to be slipped into passage surreptitiously in the dead of night on Christmas Eve 2009 - to the horror of most Americans. I wouldn’t put it past this administration to come up with some absolution to disregard the law so that Justice Kagan will not be disqualified to rule on this pivotal case.
If the Supreme Court does not find Obamacare unconstitutional, it will be crucial that the next (Republican) president, elected in 2012, repeal this albatross as one of the first things he does after taking office. A Republican president in 2012 who will uphold the Constitution is the last best hope for America.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- DeSean Jackson working on offensive cohesiveness with Redskins teammates