- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
Obama slams House GOP over tax impasse
Hours after the House rejected the Senate’s bill for a two-month extension of payroll-tax cuts, President Obama on Tuesday accused House Republican leaders of playing politics and blamed them for what he said would be an impending tax increase on 160 million Americans.
“Let’s not play brinksmanship,” Mr. Obama said in a surprise appearance in the White House press briefing room. “Time is running out. If House Republicans refuse to vote for the Senate bill, … taxes will go up in 11 days.”
The president praised the Senate for the bipartisan compromise it reached on Saturday, one that the White House also supported.
“I need [House Speaker John A. Boehner] and House Republicans to do the same — put politics aside,” Mr. Obama said.
The House earlier Tuesday voted to start negotiations with the Senate on the payroll tax fight — but Senate Democrats have said they won’t cancel their vacation to conduct the talks, resulting in the deadlock, which could raises taxes for most families an average of $1,000.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Dave Boyer is a White House correspondent for The Washington Times. A native of Allentown, Pa., Boyer worked for the Philadelphia Inquirer from 2002 to 2011 and also has covered Congress for the Times. He is a graduate of Penn State University. Boyer can be reached at email@example.com.
- Protesters, police clash in Philippines ahead of Obama visit
- Obama starts Asia trip despite Philippine protests
- White House warily watching N. Korea nuke activity ahead of Obama tour of Asia
- 38 Republicans put aside differences for lawsuit challenging legality of Obamacare
- Obama to renew pitch for big free-trade agreement
Latest Blog Entries
- Obama and Boehner congratulate U.S. men's hockey on win over Russia
- Americans say income gap will shrink if government butts out, poll shows
- WH spokesman Jay Carney recognizes beard's 'insufficiency,' shaves it off
- Obama misses deadline again on budget
- Biden burns rubber in driveway, laments road restrictions
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Kansas will nullify local regulation of guns
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Washington Redskins' 2014 schedule opens with Texans
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Georgia governor signs bill expanding gun rights
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014