- Rep. Tim Murphy: GOP knew HealthCare.gov would be an ‘unmitigated disaster’
- Political speak: Planned Parenthood dumps ‘pro-choice’ for ‘women’s health’
- U.S. attorney warns Cuomo not to interfere with anti-corruption probes
- Investigators reach Ukraine jet crash site
- Ohio gives Obama a thumbs down; Hillary Clinton tops GOP all-stars: poll
- Jesse Ventura suggests suit not over; HarperCollins could be next
- ‘No American is proud’ of certain CIA tactics: State Department
- Drug-filled drone crash outside S.C. prison sends police on alert
- GOP to Obama: Take your ‘golf cap off’ and get down to coal country
- Hamas cleric tells Jews: ‘We will exterminate you’
US says don’t publish recipe for lab-bred bird flu
Question of the Day
WASHINGTON (AP) - Scientists have genetically engineered bird flu so it can spread easily between mammals _ work necessary to prepare in case the dangerous virus ever mutates on its own and spreads from person-to-person. Now the U.S. government is asking those researchers not to publish the details in scientific journals.
There’s worry that the exact recipe could enable bioterrorism. So the government’s biosecurity advisers reviewed the research by Erasmus Medical Center in the Netherlands and the University of Wisconsin. The National Institutes of Health, which funded the research, said Tuesday that researchers are making changes _ but that it’s important for the overall findings to be published.
NIH science policy director Dr. Amy Patterson told The Associated Press that will help scientists better monitor bird flu’s natural evolution and create treatments.
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- NAPOLITANO: Is the president incompetent or lawless?
- GOP report sees ties between rich donors, green 'nonprofits'
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world