- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
Maple Leafs confirm coach Ron Wilson’s extension
The Maple Leafs have returned to respectability in the Eastern Conference since then, and Burke rewarded Ron Wilson for the turnaround, confirming Monday that the veteran coach has signed a contract extension.
“This coach has earned this extension,” Burke said. “It’s not charity, it’s not a gift.”
“It’s pretty impressive, it’s certainly a healthy clip,” Burke said.
The 56-year-old Wilson was in the final season of a four-year deal.
“When the coach goes into the cage, he needs the chair and the whip _ not just one,” Burke said. “It’s not enough to just be the coach for the rest of the season, in my opinion.
“So I think it’s an important statement. I think there’s a respect level involved and I think it was the right thing to do.”
Wilson tweeted a day earlier that he got his wish of a new deal. He had hinted last week that he wanted a new contract from Santa Claus for Christmas.
“`He came! He came!’ Remember saying that as a little kid? Well he did: I got a new Red Ryder BB gun and a contract extension!” Wilson posted Sunday on his Twitter account.
Wilson said the quest for results remains just as high, even with the increased contract security.
“I’ve seen lots of coaches get fired this year with lots of (contract) term left, so the pressure doesn’t change,” he said after the Leafs practiced Monday. “It’s still the same. I could get fired next week for all I know. So I have a little bit of combat pay coming in other words.
“That’s kind of the way I look at it.”
By Joy Overbeck
Redemption by government is futile
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Elderly Chicago man robs bank to go 'home' to prison; judge fulfills his desire
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- Chavez seizes Cargill factory
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.