- Obama ‘cavalier’ in hiding foreign aid order, judge rules
- Prince Charles: Muslims are driving Christians from Mideast through persecution
- Gitmo’s first commander: Close the prison down
- Google’s newest photography find: Just wink and shoot
- Detroit’s Heidelberg art project hit by 8 fires in 8 months
- Pa. police pull people over for random DNA tests for feds
- NASA pushing hard to get back into space game
- Harvard student to face federal charges for bomb hoax
- Ronnie Biggs of ‘Great Train Robbery’ fame dies, 84
- Pope Francis wins another ‘Person of the Year’ — from gay rights magazine
Tuning In to TV
Showtime’s new comedy available ahead of premiere
No lie here: Showtime is offering the premiere of its upcoming Don Cheadle and Kristen Bell comedy “House of Lies” early.
In a bid to increase sampling, the premium cable network is following a trend that worked well for its Golden Globe-nominated drama “Homeland” and is offering the dark comedy early to viewers via its official website, YouTube and on-demand, in addition to on smartphones and tablets.
The model worked well for “Homeland,” which was offered more than two weeks early online and went on to become Showtime’s highest-rated drama premiere in eight years, with 1.08 million viewers at 10 p.m., besting the series bows of “The Borgias” (1.06 million) and “Shameless” (982,000).
Offering premieres early online has become more frequent this television season, as the CW made rookie dramas “Hart of Dixie” and “The Secret Circle” available ahead of their debuts, as did Fox with its Zooey Deschanelcomedy, “New Girl.” All three series went on to earn full-season pickups.
“House of Lies,” a dark comedy about big business, premieres at 10 p.m. Jan. 8
Producer charged in murder drops extradition appeal
A reality show producer charged with murdering his wife during a Mexican vacation is dropping his extradition fight and will stand trial in Cancun, the Associated Press reports.
Bruce Beresford-Redman’s attorney said Tuesday the onetime “Survivor” producer has decided not to appeal a Los Angeles federal court ruling upholding his extradition to Mexico.
Lawyer Richard Hirsch said the producer thinks he would not win an appeal and wants to begin the process of proving his innocence at a trial.
Monica Beresford-Redman disappeared from a Cancun resort where the couple was vacationing with their two children last year. Her body was found stuffed in a sewer cistern.
Mr. Beresford-Redman will be tried by a single judge. If he is convicted of aggravated homicide in Mexico, he faces 12 to 30 years in a Mexican prison.
Demi Lovato knocks Disney for joke about eating disorder
Demi Lovato is not happy with Disney after the network poked fun at eating disorders on the hit series “Shake It Up.”
Miss Lovato, who previously starred on “Sonny With a Chance” before exiting the network to seek help for bulimia and cutting in rehab, took to her Twitter account after taking offense to a joke on the show.
By John R. Bolton
The president fiddles at his domestic altar while the world burns
- U.S. Army mulls wiping out memory of Robert E. Lee, 'Stonewall' Jackson
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- Half of America strips religion from Christmas
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
- We told you so: Conservatives foresaw polygamy ruling
- EDITORIAL: Al Gore, soothsayer
- Obama mocks Putin, picks gay athletes for Sochi delegation
- Top Democrats reject court ruling over NSA spying on Americans
- Army to cut up to 4,000 captains and majors
- HURT: D.C. gets the vapors, calls sequester too much
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Human interest stories to feed interest, satisfy curiosity and see outside the box.
The cold hard truth about politics in America today and the state of this once great nation.
In a world that is increasingly complex, we need to seek greater awareness of the blending of cultures and America's changing role in a global community.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow