- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Latin leaders: Help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
Question of the Day
Topping the list of key developments in 2011 are China’s robust weapons advances, including the refitting and sea trials of the first aircraft carrier the Varyag and first test flight of the newest stealth jet fighter, the J-20.
Also prominently mentioned is the People’s Liberation Army’s intensified “all-directional, broadly based and multilevel” active military outreach to other parts of the world, including the resumption of military-to-military visits between Washington and Beijing. The report also discussed the PLA’s frequent posturing and visits among the militaries of many of China’s neighboring countries, especially those in or near the contentious South China Sea.
However, sizable space is devoted to lauding the PLA’s operational involvement in various key trouble spots around the globe, including China’s busy counterterrorism, naval and ground exercises with several countries, especially with allies Pakistan, Indonesia and Belarus.
But the military’s involvement in the swift and successful evacuations of more than 30,000 Chinese citizens from war-torn Libya in the early months of 2011 was particularly touted as a major accomplishment of China’s long-range operational capabilities.
• Miles Yu’s column appears Thursdays. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TWT Video Picks
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
- Rahm Emanuel: Send illegal immigrant shelter kids to Chicago
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Pentagon running out of time to find mass of missing weapons in Afghanistan
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring 'God's Rescue Squad'
- WEST: Those who would rather join the jihadi army than their own nation's army
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq