- Extra-time goal gives Germany World Cup title over Argentina
- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
Soul singer Howard Tate dies in NJ apartment at 72
Question of the Day
TRENTON, N.J. (AP) - Soul singer Howard Tate has died in his New Jersey apartment a decade after a career resurrection that followed years of tragedy and obscurity.
A spokesman for the Burlington County medical examiner says Tate was 72 when he died of natural causes Friday in Burlington City.
Tate was born in Macon, Ga., and grew up in Philadelphia.
In the late 1960s and early '70s he had three top 20 R&B hits, including "Get It While You Can," written by his longtime producer Jerry Ragovoy and made more famous by Janis Joplin.
But Tate fell into drug addiction and ended up homeless. Ragovoy believed he had died.
Tate made a comeback a decade ago _ again with Ragovoy producing. His 2003 release "Rediscovered" was nominated for a Grammy for best contemporary blues album.
TWT Video Picks
By Robert N. Tracci
Congress must use its appropriations power to secure the border
- Pentagon's self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang MS-13 taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- A 'new Cold War': China's top paper warns of 'slippery slope' towards conflict with U.S.
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- DOJ investigates Nebraska parade float critical of Obama
- Jersey City Mayor: Cop killer lay in wait for police to arrive
- 'Be a leader' Perry tells Obama to confront border crisis
- PRUDEN: 'Dirty Harry' Reids increasing eccentricity
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: 'We cannot afford to wait on Congress' for immigration
- Germany wins World Cup title on Mario Goetze goal in extra time
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs