- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Central American leaders: I need help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
- HAYDEN: Intelligence, evidence and the case against Russia
Mexico says Gadhafi son tried to enter country
Question of the Day
MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexican authorities said Wednesday they had broken up an international plot to smuggle a son of the late Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi and his family into Mexico under false names and with false Mexican documents.
The plot was uncovered in early September as al-Saadi Gadhafi was fleeing Libya shortly after his father’s ouster. He never made it to Mexico but did reach the Western African country of Niger, where he has been living.
The plotters allegedly jetted into Mexico, opened bank accounts and bought properties meant to be used as safe houses in several parts of the country, including one at the resort of Bahia de las Banderas on Mexico‘s Pacific coast.
“The large economic resources which this criminal organization has, or had, allowed them to contract private flights,” Mr. Poire told a news conference.
Mr. Poire said the leader of the plot was a Canadian woman he identified as Cynthia Vanier. He said she had been detained Nov. 10 and was being held, along with three other suspects, under a form of house arrest on suspicion of falsifying documents.
The plot also allegedly involved a Mexican woman who lived in the United States, who Mr. Poire said served as the liaison to obtain the falsified Mexican identity documents.
A Danish man allegedly served as “the logistic liaison” for the plan, Mr. Poire said.
“The activities of the criminal organization in our country included the falsification of official documents, the opening of bank accounts with false documents, the purchase of real estate that were intended, among other things, to serve as a residence for the Gadhafi family at a house located in the zone of the Bahia de Banderas,” just north of the resort of Puerto Vallarta, Mr. Poire said.
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Russia shipping sophisticated weapons systems to Ukraine separatists
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- Ohio university quiz implies atheists are naturally smarter than Christians
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- White House readies for House GOP impeachment push: 'Foolish' to ignore
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq