- - Friday, December 9, 2011

BUENOS AIRES — Members of Argentina’s former military junta are being tried on charges of stealing babies from prisoners and giving them away during the South American country’s “dirty war” of the 1970s and ‘80s.

The grandmothers of the stolen children, who are believed to be young adults unaware of their biological parents, have long campaigned for the trial, and they are getting help from U.S. Rep. Maurice D. Hinchey in seeking justice and reuniting their families.

Last month, Mr. Hinchey asked President Obama to declassify files held by the Pentagon, FBI and CIA that relate to human rights abuses by the junta and especially the disappearance of children.

“I’m trying to get the president to declassify these documents because they could help reveal the true identity of hundreds of Argentine children who were born in captivity and taken away from their biological mothers,” Mr. Hinchey told The Washington Times in a telephone interview.

In a letter to Mr. Obama in November, Mr. Hinchey urged the president to exercise his power under an executive order to declassify intelligence files that are more than 25 years old.

“Thousands of families have waited more than 30 years to learn the fates of their loved ones, and we have an opportunity to make a contribution to truth and justice by helping to bring this troubling chapter in Argentina’s history to a close,” the New York Democrat said in the letter.

“One of the reasons this is so important is that Hinchey is acting at the request of human rights organizations here,” said journalist Horacio Verbitsky, a human rights advocate in Argentina.

“What they are doing in Washington is very important for us. It gives us hope,” said Laura Conte, one of the Argentine grandmothers, who are known as the Grandmothers of Plaza de Mayo.

Officials at the U.S. Embassy here and the government of Argentina did not respond to interview requests.

Between 1976 and 1983, Argentina’s military dictatorship kidnapped, imprisoned, tortured and “disappeared” as many 30,000 people it considered leftist subversives. During that period, officials took babies from prisoners and gave them to police and military couples to raise as their own.

Jorge Rafael Videla, Argentina’s president from 1976 to 1981, and Reynaldo Bignone, president from 1982 to 1983, are on trial with other former junta leaders in the stolen children case.

Videla, 86, is serving a life sentence for his role in the deaths of 31 prisoners; Bignone, 83, a 25-year sentence for kidnapping, torture and murder.

Mr. Hinchey’s request, if granted, would not mark the first time that the U.S. government has released records about Argentina’s dirty war. In 2000, the Clinton administration authorized a State Department records release for Argentina.

What’s more, among the 4,700 declassified documents released in 2002 under the Bush administration was a State Department cable written by Elliott Abrams, then-U.S. assistant secretary of state for human rights and humanitarian affairs.

Argentine lawyers provided The Times a copy of the declassified cable, dated Dec. 3, 1982. In it, Mr. Abrams said that U.S. officials broached the matter of stolen children with Argentine leaders, who did not deny the problem.

Story Continues →