- GOP hopes taking shutdown off the table with budget deal will pay dividends
- Chinese Death Star: The moon cited as the perfect launch pad for ballistic missiles
- Help wanted: Homeland Security plagued by vacancies at the top
- We are not amused: Queen’s protection officers warned to keep ‘sticky fingers’ off the royal cashews
- Unleash the crossbows: Gov. Scott Walker creates new hunting season
- Bubonic plague kills 20 in Madagascar
- G-20 diplomats fell for hacker attack promising nude photos of former French first lady Carla Bruni
- Minnesota guardsman charged with stealing private soldier data for fake IDs
- Florida appeals court rules universities can’t regulate guns
- Vladimir Putin defends Russian conservative values
Your slanted labels in abortion article
I was disappointed to see the use of inconsistent and therefore slanted labels for the opposite sides of the abortion issue that appeared in Thursday’s article “Judge Orders trial for Pa. abortion doctor” (Nation).
The article should have been headlined “Abortionist to stand trial for murder.” The abortion opposition group Live Action, which taped the purported human trafficking by a Planned Parenthood clinic manager, was labeled “anti-abortion.” The same article labeled the abortion group National Abortion Federation as “pro-choice.” For the sake of balance, the latter should have been labeled “pro-abortion.” If labels are necessary, why not call the groups what they call themselves, namely, either pro-life or pro-choice?
I note that while Planned Parenthood was prominently mentioned in the article and the actions of its officials were reported, the article did not apply any label to the organization that is unquestionably the largest abortion provider in the country.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Mangosuthu Buthelezi
Memories of a long brotherhood tempered in common struggle
Get Breaking Alerts
- Obama's Afghanistan experts stumped on U.S. death toll, war costs during hearing
- Inside China: Ukraine gets nuke umbrella
- NAPOLITANO: A conspiracy so vast
- North Korean dictator stuns world with uncle's execution
- CHELLANEY: China's game of chicken
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- Comma on!: Twitter erupts over Obama-Castro 'marriage'
- 80 people publicly executed across North Korea for films, Bibles
- Inside the Ring: China targets Global Hawk drone
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death