- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
Business with a conscience
Throughout his Monday column about President Obama speaking to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, Ted Nugent implies that everything America is or ever hopes to be is tied to business (“Hell just froze over,” Commentary).
In today’s world, business is obviously important for providing jobs, but American corporations failed miserably by closing down factories and sending so many jobs overseas. No wonder unemployment is so high. Mr. Obama, the middle class and the poor are not to blame for the outsourcing of American jobs.
How can we be sure that business, given free rein to do whatever it wants, will conduct itself justly and honestly? What is business doing to narrow substantially the ever-growing gap between society’s haves and have-nots? If Mr. Nugent is like most conservatives, he would be opposed to government welfare programs, including corporate welfare. Mr. Nugent says Mr. Obama doesn’t understand business. It’s possible that Mr. Nugent doesn’t understand how out-of-control greed - a moral and spiritual issue - is slowly destroying America.
PAUL L. WHITELEY SR.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
Get Breaking Alerts
- Aronofsky's 'Noah' banned in Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- MSNBC's Rachel Maddow: Bush to blame for Ukraine
- Christine O'Donnell eager to re-engage in political debate
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Russian lawmaker wants to outlaw U.S. dollar, calls it a Ponzi scheme
- U.S. tasks Navy destroyer to Black Sea amid Ukraine tensions
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Turkey not committed to Cyprus peace
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Spoiled-kid culture creates greedy adults
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama's flawed Mideast 'peace' plan
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Foreign policy would distract Obama from social hour
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Hit Putin where it hurts over Ukraine