- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Business with a conscience
Throughout his Monday column about President Obama speaking to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, Ted Nugent implies that everything America is or ever hopes to be is tied to business (“Hell just froze over,” Commentary).
In today’s world, business is obviously important for providing jobs, but American corporations failed miserably by closing down factories and sending so many jobs overseas. No wonder unemployment is so high. Mr. Obama, the middle class and the poor are not to blame for the outsourcing of American jobs.
How can we be sure that business, given free rein to do whatever it wants, will conduct itself justly and honestly? What is business doing to narrow substantially the ever-growing gap between society’s haves and have-nots? If Mr. Nugent is like most conservatives, he would be opposed to government welfare programs, including corporate welfare. Mr. Nugent says Mr. Obama doesn’t understand business. It’s possible that Mr. Nugent doesn’t understand how out-of-control greed - a moral and spiritual issue - is slowly destroying America.
PAUL L. WHITELEY SR.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
Get Breaking Alerts
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- 'Blarney Blowout' near UMass results in 73 arrests; 4 officers injured
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- 80 people publicly executed across North Korea for films, Bibles
- Vietnam says it may have found door of missing Malaysian jet as intel look into stolen passports
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Time for feckless president to show resolve
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama reserves 'Chicago way' for GOP
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Public education would wither in free market
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Turkey not committed to Cyprus peace
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Spoiled-kid culture creates greedy adults