- SWAT spends seven hours in standoff with empty home
- U.S. troops told not to eat, drink in front of Muslims during Ramadan
- Iran’s Rouhani: Israel, Islamic State are ‘tumors derived from the same origin’
- Rep. Tim Murphy: GOP knew HealthCare.gov would be an ‘unmitigated disaster’
- Political speak: Planned Parenthood dumps ‘pro-choice’ for ‘women’s health’
- U.S. attorney warns Cuomo not to interfere with anti-corruption probes
- Investigators reach Ukraine jet crash site
- Ohio gives Obama a thumbs down; Hillary Clinton tops GOP all-stars: poll
- Jesse Ventura suggests suit not over; HarperCollins could be next
- ‘No American is proud’ of certain CIA tactics: State Department
Gay out 4 weeks with left shoulder injury
Question of the Day
MEMPHIS, TENN. (AP) - Grizzlies forward Rudy Gay will miss at least four weeks with a left shoulder injury, a potentially serious blow to Memphis’ playoff chances.
Gay suffered the injury in the second quarter of Tuesday night’s 102-91 win against the Philadelphia 76ers.
An MRI Wednesday showed a partial dislocation of the shoulder.
The 6-foot-8 forward will begin rehabilitation in a week and be re-evaluated in four weeks, the team said Wednesday in a statement.
Gay is averaging 19.8 points per game and six rebounds per game.
His loss is troublesome for the Grizzlies because they are in the middle of a four game winning streak and are currently vying with the Utah Jazz and Denver Nuggets for the last playoff spot in the Western Conference.
Memphis is trying to reach the playoffs for the first time since the 2005-2006 season. The team is off for the All-Star break.
Gay has been a reliable scorer late in games for the Grizzlies, hitting several important shots.
He dropped in a tie-breaking jump shot with less than a second to play in a Jan. 24 victory against Toronto, and his high-arching basket over LeBron James gave the Grizzlies an win at home against the Miami Heat on Nov. 20.
Gay, a five-year veteran who played in college at Connecticut, signed a five year, $82 million contract this past offseason.
Gay was injured with 5:29 left in the second quarter as he drove across the lane during Tuesday’s game. He was fouled by Evan Turner, and was on the court in pain after the foul.
Memphis called timeout, and Gay returned to the game only long enough to shoot one-handed free throws because he could not lift his left arm.
He made one of two free throws to give Memphis a 41-26 lead before play was stopped on a foul by Grizzlies guard Mike Conley to get Gay out of the game.
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- GOP report sees ties between rich donors, green 'nonprofits'
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
- NAPOLITANO: Is the president incompetent or lawless?
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world