- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Nets owner has not changed his mind on Anthony
Question of the Day
The Russian told team executives last month to end drawn-out trade talks for the Denver Nuggets All-Star forward and nothing has changed with the NBA trading deadline a week away, his spokeswoman said Thursday.
There were reports on Wednesday that the Nets and Nuggets had renewed talks about a deal for Anthony. However, Prokhorov spokeswoman Ellen Pinchuk said in an e-mail that the billionaire maintains his stance, despite the reports.
“What I said is what I said,” she insisted. “Not what you said.”
Prokhorov stunned NBA followers last month during a visit to New Jersey when he told the team to end trade talks for Anthony just a day before he was to have a sitdown with the player. At the time Prokhorov said the much ballyhooed, 15-player, three-team deal that also involved the Detroit Pistons had become too become too expensive. The negotiations had also become too public and the constant rumors were hurting his team.
Prokhorov also said at the time there was no chance the talks would be resurrected.
A league official with knowledge of the Nets told The Associated Press on Thursday that Denver recently contacted New Jersey to see if there would be any interest in acquiring Anthony, who can become a free agent at the end of the season. The official asked not to be identified because he was not authorized to speak for the Nets.
But the Nets might have more to offer the Nuggets. Rookie power forward Derrick Favors, the No. 3 pick in the draft, has tremendous upside as a 19-year-old. His first season has not been overly impressive because of foul problems and a general learning curve. New Jersey also has five first-round draft picks over the next two years to offer.
Prokhorov and Nets general manager Billy King are expected to be in Los Angeles for the All-Star game this weekend, and Prokhorov might get a chance to say hello this time to Anthony. Of course, any trade to New Jersey would be contingent on Anthony signing a $65 million contract extension that’s been on the table since June.
The Nuggets (32-25), meanwhile, have the seventh best record in the West.
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- Houston mayor: Sorry that police put man's blind dog on road to die
- HUSAIN: Worlds grand ayatollahs rally behind Sistani
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors