- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
Redskin greats missing from the Hall
Kudos to longtime Washington Redskins linebacker Chris Hanburger on his election to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. This honor was long overdue for the nine-time Pro Bowler and key member of the 1972 team that reached Super Bowl VII.
Still, it is dispiriting to think of all the deserving Redskins who have not yet received the same honor. What about Mark Moseley, a perennial Pro Bowl selection and the only placekicker to be named NFL MVP (in 1982)? Or Joe Theismann, who quarterbacked Washington to victory in Super Bowl XVII? Then there’s Pat Fischer, the undersized cornerback who had more career interceptions than Hall of Famers Ken Houston or Darrell Green.
The list goes on. There’s Eddie LeBaron, the Redskins‘ 5-foot-7 All-Pro quarterback from the 1950s. Larry Brown, a discovery of Vince Lombardi’s, eventually became the 1972 NFL MVP. Len Hauss, the “original Hog,” was also a perennial Pro Bowl center. Offensive linemen Jeff Bostic, Joe Jacoby and George Starke - along with Hall of Famer Russ Grimm - led John Riggins to Super Bowl glory. What about Doug Williams, the MVP of Super Bowl XXII? And what of general manager Bobby Beathard, who built the great Redskins teams of the 1980s? All of them, too, deserve a “call from the Hall.”
STEPHEN A. SILVER
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- BRUCE: Obama deliberately emboldening America's enemies
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Critics rail against liberal bias for commencement speakers
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Probe Boston teen's medical, custody case
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support a modern-day Tiananmen protest
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: An honorable president would resign
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support demonstrates voters' distrust
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare disasters were avoidable