- Associated Press - Friday, February 18, 2011

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Representatives from the NBA and the players’ association met for about two hours Friday to discuss a new collective bargaining agreement.

Though there wasn’t much progress, there also wasn’t the acrimony of a year ago, when the players shot down the owners’ original proposal for a new deal.

Union president Derek Fisher of the Los Angeles Lakers said: “The dialogue was constructive. There definitely was a commitment to trying to get this process done in this room.”

But union executive director Billy Hunter also said there weren’t many specifics and no new proposals were offered.

The deal expires June 30, and the players have been frustrated that the owners haven’t moved off their desire for significant changes to the salary structure. But Hunter said, “maybe going forward they may be a lot more open to some kind of compromise.”

“We’re committed to it, and we made sure that was understood,” Fisher said. “We are going to continue to negotiate in good faith, more than good faith.”

Hunter said he and Commissioner David Stern would make plans for smaller meetings when they returned to New York next week.

Just as at that meeting in Dallas last year, the players’ negotiating committee was joined by a number of All-Star players. LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire were among those who attended Friday.