- No mas: Principal bans Spanish language in intercom announcement
- Hacking software could put ‘zombie drone army’ in user’s hands
- Support for stricter gun laws drops: poll
- 10 whales dead, 41 others stranded in Everglades
- John Boehner faces bipartisan pressure to allow gay-rights vote
- Martin Bashir resigns from MSNBC over ‘ill-judged’ comments about Sarah Palin
- Rep. Duncan Hunter: While Obama prays for Iranian change, U.S. should ready its nukes
- Best company ever? Veteran Beer Co. exists to employ vets, provide quality beer
- Iran official: Sanctions ‘utterly failed’ to stop nuclear program
- ‘Black Santa’ display at IU sparks student outrage
AP Source: Piniella to join Giants as adviser
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - A person with knowledge of the negotiations says Lou Piniella is close to finalizing a contract with the San Francisco Giants to work in an advisory role for the World Series champions.
A formal announcement could come soon, the person said, speaking on condition of anonymity Wednesday because details were still being worked out.
The 67-year-old Piniella retired as a manager during the 2010 season with the Chicago Cubs in order to return home to Tampa, Fla., and help his ailing mother. He is 14th with 1,835 regular-season wins while managing the New York Yankees, Cincinnati, Seattle, Tampa Bay and the Cubs. As the Giants have done with former manager Felipe Alou, Piniella could remain do much of his work from his home.
The San Francisco Chronicle was first to report Piniella’s impending deal.
By Tom Harris and Madhav Khandekar
Bad science puts rich nations on the hook for trillions in climate liabilities
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones
- Hola: Boehner prepares to push amnesty bill through House
- Puerto Rico caravan honoring Paul Walker ends in 6 drunken-driving arrests, 72 speeding tickets
- HURT: Postal Service misses address by a whole continent
- First Dog Sunny knocks down Ashtyn Gardner; Michelle Obama yanks leash
- EDITORIAL: Motor City meltdown
- Apple wins facial recognition patent for iPhone 6
- Xbox One, Playstation 4 games penalize users for cursing in their own homes
- U.S. drops 2,000 mice on Guam by parachute to kill snakes
- Allen West warns Obamas backdoor gun control is moving forward
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Wall Street news for retail investors who want to know what's going on.
Does it take over 25 years in public service to really know what goes on in Washington?
Despite cynicism about the law, it can provide you justice, protection, and ensure your rights.
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch