- Donald Rumsfeld has ‘no idea’ if he paid taxes correctly
- Bradley Manning named honorary grand marshal of San Francisco Pride parade
- Look out PayPal: Facebook working toward mobile payments system
- U.S. rebukes Iran’s U.N. envoy pick over 1979 embassy attack
- Stoned mom avoids jail after driving 12 miles with baby on roof
- More than 100 ‘inappropriate’ encounters between NYC school staffers, students since 2009: report
- Joe Biden to Boston bombing survivors: ‘America will never, ever stand down’
- FBI failed to throughly vet Boston bombing suspect after Russian lead, report finds
- Atlanta Braves flooded with Hank Aaron hate mail: He’s a ‘scumbag’
- University: Help, our campus is too white
Doug Williams returns to coach at Grambling
Grambling State Athletic Director J. Lin Dawson announced the return of the College Hall of Famer in a statement, saying Williams has signed a four-year contract that begins March 1. Financial details were not disclosed.
He later succeeded Eddie Robinson as coach at his alma mater, winning three straight Southwestern Athletic Conference titles from 1998-2003.
The 55-year-old Williams, a native of Zachary, La., replaces Rod Broadway, who resigned earlier this month to become head coach at North Carolina A&T.
Williams will coach his quarterback son D.J., who signed with Grambling this year.
“I think it is truly an honor to be able too go back to Grambling State University for a third time and to be the second coach to coach his son. The only other guy to do this was Coach Eddie Robinson,” Willliams said in the same statement issued by the school.
Williams was drafted out of Grambling by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the first round of the 1978 NFL draft. He led the Bucs to the playoffs for the first time and repeated the feat twice in four years.
Williams was the first black quarterback to play in a Super Bowl. This past weekend, he was inducted into the Black College Football Hall of Fame.
(This version CORRECTS Corrects that Williams in College Hall of Fame in 2nd paragraph. Minor edits)
By returning to goodness, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- U.S. military on high alert as Ukraine troops trade gunfire with pro-Russian militants
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Donald Rumsfeld has 'no idea' if he paid taxes correctly
- Wal-Mart forced to apologize for 'mistake' favoring English-speaking shoppers
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes