LOS ANGELES (AP) - In the wake of an incendiary radio interview with “Two and a Half Men” star Charlie Sheen, CBS and Warner Bros. Television said they are ending production on TV’s top-rated sitcom for the season.
The decision was based on the “totality of Charlie Sheen’s statements, conduct and condition,” the companies said in a joint statement Thursday. The show’s future was not addressed.
Production had been suspended in January to allow Sheen to seek rehabilitation. Earlier Thursday, Warner and Sheen’s publicist, Stan Rosenfield, said the series would resume taping next week with Sheen.
That was before the 45-year-old actor’s rambling, often vitriolic radio interview with host Alex Jones in which Sheen blasted “Two and a Half Men” producer Chuck Lorre and other targets including Alcoholics Anonymous.
The abrupt decision to pull the plug on additional episodes of the lucrative sitcom came after Sheen’s increasingly erratic behavior, including an earlier interview in which he claimed he had sought to return to work but was barred by producers.
“There’s something this side of deplorable that a certain Chaim Levine _ yeah, that’s Chuck’s real name _ mistook this rock star for his own selfish exit strategy, bro. Check it, Alex: I embarrassed him in front of his children and the world by healing at a pace that his unevolved mind cannot process,” Sheen said.
“Last I checked, Chaim, I spent close to the last decade effortlessly and magically converting your tin cans into pure gold. And the gratitude I get is this charlatan chose not to do his job, which is to write,” he said.
Lorre, who was born Charles Levine, is a veteran producer whose hits include “The Big Bang Theory,” “Dharma & Greg” and “Cybill.”
Speaking of himself, Sheen said he has “magic and poetry in my fingertips, most of the time.”
Lorre had no comment on Sheen’s remarks or the production shut down, a spokeswoman said Thursday. A call made after business hours Thursday to the publicist for Sheen’s co-star, Jon Cryer, was not returned.
Sheen, improbably, also called on his fans to start a protest movement for him.
“I urge all my beautiful and loyal fans who embraced this show for almost a decade to walk with me side-by-side as we march up the steps of justice to right this unconscionable wrong,” he wrote.