- Associated Press - Thursday, February 24, 2011

WASHINGTON | The NFL and the players’ union have made “some progress” over seven consecutive days of face-to-face meetings, “but very strong differences remain,” and negotiations will resume next week, the federal mediator overseeing the talks said Thursday.

George Cohen, director of the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service, released a statement shortly before noon Thursday, his first public comments since he began working with the league and the NFL Players Association last week.

Thursday marked the seventh consecutive day of mediated negotiations, covering a total of more than 40 hours; they will not meet Friday. NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith and the rest of the union’s negotiating team left the building about 12:30 p.m., three hours after arriving.

“Just continue talking, man — that’s what we’re doing,” Indianapolis Colts center Jeff Saturday said as he got into a car. “I think ownership — everybody — needs to know that we’re all committed to it and committed to getting something done.”


The current collective bargaining agreement expires at the end of the day next Thursday, and the union believes owners have been preparing to lock out players as soon as the following day.

Cohen said the mediation will continue at his office Tuesday.

“During the intervening weekend, the parties have been asked by us to assess their current positions,” Cohen said.

“At bottom, some progress was made,” he said, “but very strong differences remain on the all-important core issues that separate the parties.”

While Cohen did not name those issues, the biggest sticking point all along has been how to divide about $9 billion in annual revenues. Among the other significant topics in negotiations: a rookie wage scale; the owners’ push to expand the regular season from 16 games to 18 while reducing the preseason by two games; and benefits for retired players.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, Smith and their negotiating teams arrived at Cohen’s office by 9:30 a.m. Thursday, and all were gone a few hours later.

Saturday was one of four active players on the NFLPA’s executive committee present Thursday, joined by Denver Broncos safety Brian Dawkins, and Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Mike Vrabel and guard Brian Waters. Nine of that committee’s 11 members participated at some point during these seven days of talks; union president Kevin Mawae and New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees did not.

No NFL team owners attended the talks in Washington. Cohen asked both parties to keep quiet about the mediation, and union lawyer Richard Berthelsen said Thursday that gag order is still in effect.

All Smith would say as he walked toward the union’s headquarters was: “We’ll see you all next week.”

Seeking to keep a lid on what’s happening in the talks, the NFL sent an e-mail on behalf of Goodell to team owners, presidents, general managers and PR employees Thursday, attaching a copy of Cohen’s statement and saying: “We will have no further comment beyond this release and no club or member of your organization should comment beyond this release.”

Also Thursday, there was a hearing before a U.S. District Court judge in Minneapolis to discuss the NFLPA’s complaint that the league improperly negotiated TV deals.

Story Continues →