- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: ‘Get yourself some firearms’
AP source: Selig to name Joe Torre MLB executive
Question of the Day
SCOTTSDALE, ARIZ. (AP) - Joe Torre has been hired as Major League Baseball’s executive vice president of baseball operations, a person with knowledge of the appointment said.
MLB said Selig would make a major announcement at the new Salt River Fields ballpark, the spring facility for the Arizona Diamondbacks and Colorado Rockies.
The 70-year-old Torre won four World Series titles for the New York Yankees in a 29-year career as a manager, retiring after last season following three years with the Los Angeles Dodgers. He played parts of 18 seasons in the majors.
Even when Torre stepped away from the dugout, he insisted he would always stay involved in the game to some extent _ though many figured that might be in television, or that he would take another managerial job elsewhere unable to truly call it quits as a skipper.
He likely will help Selig in a variety of roles. MLB lost chief operating officer Bob DuPuy last fall after he spent 8 1/2 years as the commissioner’s top aide.
Senate majority leader practices politics of personal destruction
- Pentagon's self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: 'We cannot afford to wait on Congress' for immigration
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- Obama seeks brisk passage of border children funding bill
- Va. Democrat reportedly seeks nude shots of Kendall Jones
- Bloomberg: Pro-gun towns must lack roads
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: 'Get yourself some firearms'
- PRUDEN: 'Dirty Harry' Reids increasing eccentricity
- Violent gang MS-13 taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- New York City creates ID card so 500K illegal immigrants can get services
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs