- Egypt rights center raided, 2 Mubaraks acquitted
- New Mexico Supreme Court rules same-sex marriage constitutional
- Blame Bush: 5 years later, that’s still the mantra, pollsters find
- Dutch prostitutes demand same retirement benefits as soccer stars
- John McCain to Harry Reid: I’ll ‘kick the crap’ out of you
- Dogs that talk: Researchers seek $10K for ‘No More Woof’ technology
- 1,000 firefighters called to battle stubborn Big Sur wildfire
- Black Friday brouhaha: Millions of Target shoppers hit by credit card theft
- Britain orders airplane to rescue citizens from violent South Sudan
- Mega Millions winner emerges as Georgia mom, in ‘disbelief’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Mounting interest in Tesla
Question of the Day
The Feb. 11 editorial “House spending revolt” (Comment & Analysis) incorrectly cites a $456 million loan awarded to Tesla Motors as an example of how the Department of Energy will “lose $1.4 billion.” As with most loans, Tesla must pay it back - with interest. The government does not lose, but gains, from the transaction.
Rather than build a new plant, Tesla is creating jobs at a facility it acquired after General Motors went bankrupt and Toyota was forced to stop operations there. The facility will produce the electric Model S sedan, a five- and two-seat electric sedan offering up to 300 miles of range. With a starting price under $50,000, the Model S will be within the reach of many American families, who will never need a drop of foreign oil again.
Rather than building a “sports car for Hollywood millionaires,” Tesla is dedicated to bringing increasingly affordable electric vehicles to market. We develop and supply technology that helps Toyota and Daimler produce affordable electric vehicles. Tesla is making this technology accessible to everyone.
Vice president of business development
Palo Alto, Calif.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Michael P. Orsi
Edward Snowden should declare his patriotism in court
Get Breaking Alerts
- Citing 'unfair system,' Obama commutes sentences for 8 crack offenders
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- Homeland Security helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.
- Bill Gates: The Secret Santa disguised as a 'friendly fellow' on Reddit
- Obamacare 'pajamas boy' gets roundly mocked
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
- Armed response, not restrictive gun laws, brought swift end to school shooting
- Duck Dynasty Phil Robertson suspended indefinitely for gay quip
- OBAMASCARE: Huge premium hikes rock employer-insured workers
- UHLER and FERRARA: Obamacare, the end of the progressive era