- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
KNIGHT: Obama to God and America: You’re Wrong About Marriage
President leads ongoing effort to homosexualize America
Marriage predates any known human government. It is not open to debate except where lunatics have taken over the asylum and can’t see any difference between John and Mary tying the knot and John and Fred playing house.
Utah, which had a Mormon population that advocated polygamous unions, was denied statehood until it passed a law ensuring that only one-man-one-woman marriages would be recognized legally.
The key case was Murphy v. Ramsey (1885), in which the Supreme Court upheld Congress’ right to make polygamy and bigamy illegal in U.S. territories and a requirement for statehood:
“For certainly no legislation can be supposed more wholesome and necessary in the founding of a free, self-governing commonwealth, fit to take rank as one of the coordinate states of the Union, than that which seeks to establish it on the basis of the idea of the family, as consisting in and springing from the union for life of one man and one woman in the holy estate of matrimony; the sure foundation of all that is stable and noble in our civilization; the best guarantee of that reverent morality which is the source of all beneficent progress in social and political improvement.”
World magazine culture critic Gene Edward Veith notes that the homosexual drive to gain marital benefits is destroying marriage itself as people abandon commitment and embrace the “gay” notion of serial monogamy with “sex partners”:
“This sort of reductionism - a spouse is nothing more than a sex partner, so a sex partner is the same as a spouse - misses the point of what marriage is and what its role in society amounts to. … marriage is being defined down. As marriage becomes unnecessary - not just for job benefits but for adopting children, inheriting property and being socially acceptable - the whole nation will be ‘living in sin.’ “
Hoover Institution research fellow Stanley Kurtz has chronicled the acceleration of societal uncoupling from marriage in Sweden:
“Marriage is slowly dying in Scandinavia. A majority of children in Sweden and Norway are born out of wedlock. … Not coincidentally, these countries have had something close to full gay marriage for a decade or more. Same-sex marriage has locked in and reinforced an existing Scandinavian trend toward the separation of marriage and parenthood.”
By declaring his intention to allow radical judges to find a “right” to homosexual “marriage” in the U.S. Constitution, Mr. Obama is pouring gasoline on a bonfire that is destroying the legal protections of marriage - and civilization itself.
Robert Knight is a Washington Times columnist, senior fellow for the American Civil Rights Union and the author of “The Truth About Marriage” (Coralridge.org, 2010).
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
Get Breaking Alerts
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- EDITORIAL: Republicans finally fight back in phony 'war on women'
- EDITORIAL: More Lerner smoking-gun emails at IRS
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Critics rail against liberal bias for commencement speakers