- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s same-sex marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
- U.N. rights chief: Flight MH17 downing possible war crime
- Attack on park in Gaza war kills 10, mostly children
- Calif. protesters to block Israel-owned ships at Port of Oakland
- Obama to give Africa $38M, but tells young leaders: Stop ‘making excuses’ for economy
- Diapered toddler crashes Jeep, runs home to watch cartoons
- Obama’s post re-election stats irk: 81 golf rounds, 75 fundraisers
Former NFL, CFL player Ricky Bell dies at 36
Question of the Day
He died Feb. 17 in Columbia, S.C., although no cause was given, Leevy’s Funeral Home in Columbia said. Bell’s mother, Florence Bell, and girlfriend, Tanisha Means, would not comment on the cause to The Canadian Press.
Bell was a captain at North Carolina State and played three seasons in the NFL with Jacksonville and Chicago. He spent one season in NFL Europe and another in the XFL before joining the CFL in 2001.
In Canada, he played for Calgary, Ottawa, Winnipeg and Montreal before leaving the league in 2007. His career ended in 2008 with the Arena Football League’s Georgia Force.
Florence Bell said her son always wanted to be a football player.
“I remember my brother saying, ‘Rick, you know the chances of you playing professional ball are one in a million?’” she said. “And he looked at my brother and said, ‘Well, uncle, I’m going to be that man. I’m going to be that one.’”
After Bell retired from football, he returned to South Carolina and went into real estate.
Bell is also survived by a daughter, Nyla.
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- D.C. police chief orders officers not to arrest legal gun owners carrying weapons in public
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- Ohio sheriff sends bill to Mexico for cost of jailing illegals
- Washington Times strikes content and marketing partnership with Redskins
- DeSean Jackson working on offensive cohesiveness with Redskins teammates
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq