- George Zimmerman will not be charged in domestic dispute
- Russian officials press bilateral U.S. trade deal
- Selfies at Funerals blog creator retires after Obama flub: ‘Our work here is done’
- New Obama adviser Podesta is against Keystone but will steer clear of pipeline deliberations
- 40 Australian adults, children found in ‘one of the worst accounts of incest ever made public’
- Venezuela’s Maduro calls on student ‘price vigilantes’ to hit the streets, report businesses
- Atheists smug as Hindus join Satanists to demand display at Oklahoma Statehouse
- Bow before Valkyrie, NASA’s ‘superhero robot’ entry in DARPA challenge
- 10-year-old Pennsylvania boy suspended for pretend bow-and-arrow shooting
- Tea partyers turn on Capitol Hill budget deal
Question of the Day
The Tuesday American Scene item “Report: Immigration law not enforced consistently” (Nation) repeats misconceptions about the use of the 287(g) immigration law. It claims that the program is problematic because it results in the arrest and deportation of illegal immigrants with little or no criminal record. Such a view is misguided and dangerous.
The 287(g) program allows state and local law enforcement jurisdictions to enter into an agreement with the Department of Homeland Security in order to help enforce federal immigration laws. When the program began, there was no intent to limit it only to criminal illegal immigrants. I should know because I wrote the law that established the program.
Waiting until illegal immigrants commit criminal offenses before deporting them places U.S. citizens and legal immigrants in danger. Just ask any victim of crimes by illegal immigrants. America’s immigration laws apply to all illegal immigrants, not just those who have committed crimes. The Obama administration is responsible for the enforcement of those laws, and the 287(g) program is a useful tool to help it do so.
REP. LAMAR SMITH
Chairman, House Judiciary Committee
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Matt Kibbe
Get Breaking Alerts
- Rand Paul: Budget deal 'shameful,' 'huge mistake'
- Teen thugs in D.C. run wild -- even while wearing GPS ankle bracelets
- KIBBE: Another Republican budget surrender
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- Study IDs reasons for late-term abortions
- CARSON: Why did the founders give us the Second Amendment?
- American bourbon now better than Scottish whisky: U.K.-born expert
- VEGAS RULES: Harry Reid pushed feds to change ruling for casino's big-money foreigners
- Biden guarantees victory on immigration reform
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death