- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
- Foreign minister vows response if Russians are attacked in Ukraine
Ed Asner glad to be the `crab’ on `Working Class’
“She’s not the female me. She’s the big cheese. She certainly is the mark I shoot for,” Asner said.
While White has shaken up her image by hosting “Saturday Night Live” and with the TV Land sitcom “Hot in Cleveland” _ “showing them all that jazz that she’s got stored up in her,” as Asner puts it _ he says audiences are used to “the usual crab element I’m known for.”
It’s true that Asner is in full and familiar grouchy glory in his latest role, a grocery store worker who acts as adviser and foil to a single mom, Carli, in CMT’s “Working Class,” starring Melissa Peterman. It’s territory he plowed in the animated movie “Up,” and in TV’s “The Mary Tyler Moore Show” and spinoff “Lou Grant.”
But he does it so awfully well, on screen and in life.
Mention that he’s lucky to work when older people can struggle for employment in any field, and he’s off and running.
“It sucks, doesn’t it?” he said. “I can understand how they don’t want to see an old fart in front of the camera, but when they start ruling out directors and cinematographers and producers and writers because they’re too old, there’s something wrong in the world.”
Asner is more than contented, however, to work with Peterman, whose credits include CW’s “Reba.” Reba McEntire pops up in the third “Working Class” episode (debuting 8 p.m. EST Friday, with repeats on Saturday and next week), playing “sugar mama” to Carli’s ex-husband (John Schneider).
“She is ideal. I haven’t worked with anybody as noble, generous and sharp since Mary Tyler Moore,” he said of Peterman.
TWT Video Picks
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- Georgia governor signs bill expanding gun rights
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Harry Reid using tax dollars to fight Koch brothers, La. GOP chair charges
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
- Professor apologizes after blasting Republicans in class
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014