- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
Jamie Oliver reality show dumped from LA schools
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Jamie Oliver won’t be cooking another course of his reality TV show in Los Angeles schools.
He said Oliver had been filming for two weeks at one school but the decision was made to ban him from others because he failed to submit a proposal about his plans to officials.
“We decided to put a halt to it until we receive that proposal,” said Alaniz. “We really don’t want to be part of reality TV. The success formula for reality TV is drama and conflict. We’re just not interested in either. This serves as a wake-up call. We’re not interested in participating in reality TV across the district. We just don’t want to go there.”
A spokeswoman for the network said production on “Food Revolution” would continue, though she declined to specifically comment on Oliver’s ban from Los Angeles schools.
The first season of the reality TV show featured Oliver attempting to revolutionize the eating habits and food policies of Huntington, W. Va.
The town, which wasn’t always thrilled to have The Naked Chef there, was selected after a 2008 story by The Associated Press dubbed the five-county metropolitan area that it is in as the United States’ unhealthiest.
“The school fought for me to get into their school, as did the teachers and the parent groups,” Oliver said Wednesday at the UCLA School of Public Health, according to a transcript. “Yesterday, my filming permit was terminated because I can’t promise that the LAUSD doesn’t look good. Guys, I’m a British citizen. I love your country. I’m here not because I want to improve my TV career because I have a perfectly good one.”
Alaniz said the district was hesitant to be part of another reality TV production after he said the NBC school makeover show “School Pride” left behind a substandard paint job at Hollenbeck Middle School last year that cost the district $116,000 to repair.
Alaniz said, however, the district would continue to participate in fiction and documentary productions.
Oliver’s ban was first reported by the Los Angeles Times.
By Tom Fitton
New photos confirm the attack's coordination and its cover-up
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral
- FITTON: A closer look at the Benghazi lie
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- American bourbon now better than Scottish whiskey: U.K.-born expert
- Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel warns Pakistani leaders of U.S. aid losses over drone-strike protests
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Troops forced to rely on welfare, holiday charity
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Listening to the heartbeat of Louisiana, including events, food, family and culture.
The Constitution: Every issue, every time. No exceptions, no excuses. And how to get from here to there.
Crystal Wright is a black conservative woman living in Washington, D.C.
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow