- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Ben Heppner withdraws from Met’s Ring Cycle
NEW YORK (AP) - Ben Heppner has withdrawn from the Metropolitan Opera’s new production of Wagner’s Ring Cycle.
The Met said Tuesday that the Canadian tenor had retired the role from his repertory. Met general manager Peter Gelb had announced in January 2007 that Heppner would sing the role when the Robert Lepage stagings of “Siegfried” and “Goetterdaemmerung” premiered during the 2011-12 season.
Gary Lehman will take over in “Siegfried” on Oct. 27, Nov. 1 and 5, and April 21 and 30, 2012, with Stephen Gould scheduled for May 9, 2012. Lehman will appear in “Goetterdaemmerung” in 2012 on Jan. 27, Feb. 7 and 11 and May 3. Gould will sing on Jan. 31, Feb. 3, April 24 and May 12.
Met music director James Levine conducts. Gelb previously announced soprano Deborah Voigt as Bruennhilde, bass-baritone Bryn Terfel as Wotan and tenor Jonas Kaufmann as Siegmund.
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Paul takes veiled shot at Cruz, says GOP must focus on growth
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Obama engages in Ukraine diplomacy from Fla. resort as Russia digs in
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- EDITORIAL: As jobs vanish, Obama wants more of same
- CPAC 2014 straw poll results
- CARSON: Why did the founders give us the Second Amendment?
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again