- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Golf tournaments where basketball is a big ticket
Question of the Day
DIVOTS: After missing three tournaments in January because of stitches in his finger, Geoff Ogilvy has added the Pebble Beach National Pro-Am. The only other time he played was 10 years ago, when he missed the cut. … Lorena Ochoa is retired from the LPGA Tour, but not from golf. She will take play in the pro-am at the Mayakoba Golf Classic in Mexico on Feb. 23. … Jessica Korda, the 17-year-old who earned her LPGA Tour card at Q-school, received an exemption to the HSBC Women’s Champions in Singapore. Korda turns 18 on the Sunday of the tournament. … Three of the five events on the PGA Tour have been decided by playoffs this year. … Patricia Cornett has been appointed U.S. captain of the 2012 Curtis Cup team. She played in the 1978 and 1988 matches. … Stephen Ross, former executive director of the Royal Canadian Golf Association, and two-time PGA Tour winner Richard Zokol have been elected to the Canadian Golf Hall of Fame.
STAT OF THE WEEK: Mark Wilson has earned more money in three tournaments this year _ $2,098,700 _ than any of his previous eight years on the PGA Tour.
FINAL WORD: “If AT&T could pay guys to show up, what do you think this field would look like?” _ Paul Goydos, on the appearance money paid at the Dubai Desert Classic, held the same week as the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am.
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- State Department indicates Nouri al-Maliki's days numbered as Iraq prime minister
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Russia sends Iraq fighter jets, helicopter gunships for ISIL fight after meeting in Moscow
- Tom Petty: 'No one's got Christ more wrong than the Christians'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq