- U.S. nuclear general boozed it up, chased ‘hot women’ in Russia: report
- 45 Calif. students at one school test positive for tuberculosis exposure
- Rob Ford on women: Give them cash ‘and they are happy’
- Ku Klux Klan group holds recruitment meeting in Maryland
- Airport assassination: Mayor, 3 others killed at Manila airport
- Tea party-type lawmakers take mysterious, off-books trip to Mideast
- North Korea warns South: We’ll attack ‘without warning’
- Congress sends sweeping defense bill to Obama
- Multiple injuries as balcony collapses at London’s Apollo theatre during performance
- Egypt rights center raided, 2 Mubaraks acquitted
Obama is no Reagan
Question of the Day
Former President Ronald Reagan received a fitting memorial tribute for what would have been his 100th birthday Sunday at the library bearing his name.
Speeches by actor Gary Sinise and former Reagan Treasury Secretary James A. Baker III described how Reagan during his two terms in office was able to restore our economy, improve our morale, bring freedom to the former Soviet bloc countries and return our country to its status as the world’s foremost superpower. He did this with humility, uplifting words matched by deeds, adherence to his faith and beliefs, and humor.
The Democrats seized the moment to praise President Obama’s recent speeches as being Reaganesque. During his Senate term, Mr. Obama was highly critical of Reagan, but now he speaks well of him and makes it known that he has been reading about the former president’s terms in office.
There is one distinction that stands out between these two presidents: Reagan listened to the people, and everything he did was for them. In contrast, Mr. Obama has not listened to the people, and all of his policies provide special treatment for his supporters.
MARVIN L. HOOVIS
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Michael P. Orsi
Edward Snowden should declare his patriotism in court
Get Breaking Alerts
- Citing 'unfair system,' Obama commutes sentences for 8 crack offenders
- Huge backlash mounts over suspension of 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson
- Homeland Security helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- Deportations under Obama plunged to just 1 percent last year
- Sebelius adds yet another exemption for Obamacare
- PRUDEN: 'Tis the season for apologies
- EDITORIAL: Red faces at the White House
- Obamacare 'pajamas boy' gets roundly mocked
- Bill Gates: The Secret Santa disguised as a 'friendly fellow' on Reddit