- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
House GOP outlines sweeping spending cuts
Republicans account for their larger reduction amounts by pegging their recommended cuts to Mr. Obama’s requests. They claim $58 billion in savings through the end of the year, compared with Mr. Obama’s proposals for domestic agencies. That amount increases to $74 billion after defense cuts are folded in.
The list of cuts contains numerous winners and losers — and seeks to steer clear of political land mines. NASA would absorb a cut of less than 1 percent cut from current levels, and the National Park Service largely would be spared.
In fact, the FBI would receive a 4 percent increase over current levels, as would the U.S. Marshals Service. The health research budget would be frozen at 2010 levels ($31 billion). And while Republicans are advertising cuts to community development programs of $530 million from Mr. Obama’s budget, those cuts equal a freeze at current levels of almost $4 billion.
But renewable-energy and energy-efficiency programs would be slashed by about half, while a weatherization program for homes, factories and office buildings would be terminated.
The Women, Infants and Children program, which provides food for low-income pregnant women, mothers and young children, would receive a $758 million cut, about 10 percent. But with money left over from last year, the impact should be modest.
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- CURL: The state of the Union worse than you thought
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.