- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Nets owner tells team to drop attemps to land Anthony
Question of the Day
NEWARK, N.J. | The megadeal to bring Carmelo Anthony to the New Jersey Nets is dead.
Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov told the team to end trade talks with the Denver Nuggets on Wednesday, saying he was unhappy with how it played out in public, that it took too long, got too expensive and cost the team games.
The Russian billionaire also canceled a planned meeting with Anthony on Thursday and said there was no chance — that’s a big nyet — that the trade would be resurrected.
Previously, New Jersey had offered to ship six players and at least two first-round draft picks to Denver in a three-team deal that would have sent Anthony to the Nets along with former Pistons teammates Chauncey Billups and Richard Hamilton.
“Really I am not happy with the way this deal has gone until now,” Prokhorov said. “It has taken too long … and I believe it has cost us several games.”
The Nets have lost six straight, including all four on a just-completed West Coast road trip that ended in Oakland on Monday.
“Maybe he sent me an e-mail but I never use computer, that’s why, maybe, I missed it or maybe carrier pigeon got lost,” Prokhorov said.
Prokhorov personally led the Nets‘ delegation in free agency talks with LeBron James, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade in July, and he said the decision to pursue the 26-year-old Anthony since the start of training camp was purely a basketball decision.
However, Prokhorov showed he didn’t make billions waiting for other people to make decisions. When he got fed up, he said enough.
“I am not ready to overpay,” Prokhorov said. “As soon as you make a mistake, you can wait for the next chance for the next five or six years. That’s why I prefer to be really patient.”
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- House GOP resurrects border bill, predicts successful Friday vote
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors