- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Nationals sign Coffey, designate Martis for assignment
Question of the Day
WASHINGTON | Right-handed reliever Todd Coffey agreed to a $1.35 million, one-year contract with the Washington Nationals on Monday.
The 30-year-old Coffey went 2-4 with a 4.76 ERA in 69 appearances with Milwaukee in 2010. In six major league seasons, he is 19-17 with 11 saves and a 4.15 ERA in 369 games, all in relief, with the Brewers and Reds.
He is the latest addition to a Nationals bullpen that general manager Mike Rizzo began rebuilding last season.
Coffey’s contract includes a chance to earn up to $275,000 in performance bonuses: $75,000 each for 60 and 65 relief appearances, plus $125,000 for 75 relief appearances.
He pitched in 69 games last season, and 78 in 2009; his career high was 81 appearances in 2006 with Cincinnati.
Also Monday, the Nationals designated right-handed starter Shairon Martis for assignment. They needed to make room on their 40-man roster for utility player Jerry Hairston Jr., who agreed to a $2 million, one-year deal last week.
Martis went 6-6 with a 5.33 ERA in 20 games — 19 starts — for Washington in 2008 and 2009, then spent 2010 at Triple-A Syracuse, going 8-7 with a 4.09 ERA in 27 starts.
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- House backs faster deportations, cancels 'Dreamer' policy
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- HATCH: Destroying the Senate and our liberties
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors