- Marco Rubio: U.S. at social, moral crossroads
- ‘We’re coming for you, Barack Obama’: Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL
- White flags baffle NYPD: ‘We’re lucky it wasn’t a bomb’
- N.Y. Gov. Cuomo’s office interfered with, pressured corruption commission: report
- Brit lawmaker: I would fire on Israel if I lived in Gaza
- VA apologizes to forgotten Marine veteran locked in Fla. clinic, forced to call 911
- U.S. social and economic trends on worrisome track, survey finds
- McDonald nomination unanimously referred to full Senate
- Chuck Norris honorary chairman of NRA voter registration campaign
- GOP outraged Obamacare investigators able to get coverage with fake IDs
Trust funds’ fuzzy math
Question of the Day
The bogus accounting and federal government fraud never ends. Medicare trust funds reside along with the Social Security Trust Fund in the financial blob known as the nonpublic debt. It is money the government owes itself.
Medicare and Social Security taxes are collected and spent on current benefits. Surplus amounts are spent but are recorded as available in those trust funds to pay future benefits. Interest is earned on those fictitious trust funds.
According to the Government Accountability Office, the meaning of the term “trust” in this context differs significantly from its private-sector usage. The federal government does not act as a fiduciary for trust fund beneficiaries. It can raise and lower payments from the trust funds or change the purposes for which those funds are used. In sum, we’ve been scammed once again.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
Get Breaking Alerts
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- Democratic Sen. John Walsh plagiarized War College master's thesis: report
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Netanyahu's Wikipedia page replaced with giant Palestinian flag
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- DEACE: How to go from civil rights icon to bigot in one quote
- Beretta moving to Tennessee over Maryland gun laws
- Two Ukrainian fighter jets shot down
- Latest Obama claim: I don't learn anything from the news