- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Contador says officials are proposing one-year ban for failed test
Contador cyclist confirmed the proposed sanction Wednesday in a statement released by his spokesman. He said the Spanish federation’s disciplinary committee informed him of the decision.
If banned, Contador would lose his third Tour title because of the positive clenbuterol result he blames on contaminated meat. The Spanish cyclist also would be ineligible to compete in this year’s Tour.
Contador has 10 days to challenge the one-year proposal by presenting new evidence or material, according to Spanish federation rules. After that, the four-person disciplinary committee will reconvene to decide whether to uphold or change the proposed sanction.
With seven-time Tour champion Lance Armstrong back in retirement, Contador is cycling’s biggest star, so it would be devastating for the sport if he is banned.
The 28-year-old Contador, who also won the Tour in 2007 and 2009, said he will hold a news conference on Friday in Palma de Mallorca, where he is taking part in preseason training with his Saxo Bank-SunGard team. Saxo Bank officials did not answer calls seeking comment Wednesday.
The final decision — expected around Feb. 10 — still could be appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport by Contador, the International Cycling Union (UCI) or the World Anti-Doping Agency. The standard doping penalty is a two-year ban.
The Spanish federation said it delivered an initial decision made by its disciplinary committee but declined to confirm the proposed one-year sanction.
If Contador were stripped of the 2010 Tour victory, the title would go to runner-up Andy Schleck of Luxembourg.
Contador would be the second cyclist to lose the Tour title. The first was American Floyd Landis, who was stripped of his 2006 Tour victory after a positive test. For years, Landis denied doping but admitted last year that he used performance-enhancing drugs.
Contador, winner of both the Giro d’Italia and Spanish Vuelta in 2008, tested positive during a rest day at last year’s Tour.
Contador said he and four other Astana teammates ate beef on July 20 in the Spanish border town of Irun and that he was the only one who underwent a doping test on July 21.
Clenbuterol, a muscle-building, weight-loss drug, is considered a banned substance by WADA. It is sometimes given to cows, pigs and other animals to increase their growth rate.
AP Sports Writer John Leicester in Paris contributed to this report.
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- CURL: The modern GOP really is Reagan's 'Big Tent' party
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- 80 people publicly executed across North Korea for films, Bibles
- CPAC 2014: Straw poll signals Paul-Cruz showdown
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- U.S. deploys 12 F-16 fighter jets to Poland as exercise in response to Ukraine situation
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again