- Miley Cyrus hospitalized, cancels Kansas City show
- Josh Romney swipes Harry Reid with photo tweet of dad paying taxes — ‘your paycheck’
- Despite Obamacare problems, some Dems want Sebelius to run for Senate: report
- Angry New Yorkers shred gun registrations in deadline day protests
- Uninsured rate dropping faster in places that embraced pillars of Obamacare, survey shows
- Hawaii, D.C. give residents two more weeks to sign up under Obamacare
- Climate change causing fish to lose their minds, researchers say
- Great Britain tops World’s Most Sexist Nation list
- Aaron Hernandez investigated for threatening to kill prison guard
- Putin tells Merkel that Ukraine is on the brink of civil war
Obamacare limits liberty
Patrick Henry shouted in 1775, “Give me liberty, or give me death.” Liberty is the right to behave according to one’s personal responsibility without coercion from government. Obamacare thus represents an attack on our liberty.
Virginia Attorney General Kenneth T. Cuccinelli filed a lawsuit challenging this law. Mr. Cuccinelli said, “This case is not about health care so much as it is about liberty and the outer reaches of federal power in our constitutional system.” U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson agreed in his Dec. 13 ruling that this law “exceeds the constitutional boundaries of congressional power.”
Tyranny is the arbitrary or unrestrained exercise of power. Mr. Hudson said in his decision, “The unchecked expansion of congressional power to the limits suggested by the minimum essential coverage provision would invite unbridled exercise of federal police powers.” That sounds like tyranny. In this new year, we should support those who defend our liberties and fight this health care law.
DR. DOUGLAS H. MAHN
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By returning to Christian roots, the nation can achieve greatness once again
Get Breaking Alerts
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- PHILLIPS: What did Harry Reid know and when did he know it?
- HURT: Wilson and Obama ... 100 years apart, but so alike
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- HHS nominee Sylvia Burwell entangled in MetLife lawsuit
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Solution to Cyprus dispute is no 'mistake'
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama's real wealth redistribution scheme
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare numbers nothing to celebrate
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Unanswered bus-crash questions
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Lerner won't face meaningful punishment