- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Middle Eastern firm’s deal to manage U.S. cargo port raises security concerns
- Bob McDonnell’s defense: Lonely wife developed ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House Republicans unveil bill to speed deportations of border children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
Obamacare limits liberty
Question of the Day
Patrick Henry shouted in 1775, “Give me liberty, or give me death.” Liberty is the right to behave according to one’s personal responsibility without coercion from government. Obamacare thus represents an attack on our liberty.
Virginia Attorney General Kenneth T. Cuccinelli filed a lawsuit challenging this law. Mr. Cuccinelli said, “This case is not about health care so much as it is about liberty and the outer reaches of federal power in our constitutional system.” U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson agreed in his Dec. 13 ruling that this law “exceeds the constitutional boundaries of congressional power.”
Tyranny is the arbitrary or unrestrained exercise of power. Mr. Hudson said in his decision, “The unchecked expansion of congressional power to the limits suggested by the minimum essential coverage provision would invite unbridled exercise of federal police powers.” That sounds like tyranny. In this new year, we should support those who defend our liberties and fight this health care law.
DR. DOUGLAS H. MAHN
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- McCLAUGHRY: Finish off the "Islamic State" quickly and cheaply
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Kerry's credibility questioned as fighting in Gaza rages