- Chinese Death Star: The moon cited as the perfect launch pad for ballistic missiles
- Help wanted: Homeland Security plagued by vacancies at the top
- We are not amused: Queen’s protection officers warned to keep ‘sticky fingers’ off the royal cashews
- Unleash the crossbows: Gov. Scott Walker creates new hunting season
- Bubonic plague kills 20 in Madagascar
- G-20 diplomats fell for hacker attack promising nude photos of former French first lady Carla Bruni
- Minnesota guardsman charged with stealing private soldier data for fake IDs
- Florida appeals court rules universities can’t regulate guns
- Vladimir Putin defends Russian conservative values
- Tea Party Patriots call key GOP firing a declaration of war
Obamacare limits liberty
Question of the Day
Patrick Henry shouted in 1775, “Give me liberty, or give me death.” Liberty is the right to behave according to one’s personal responsibility without coercion from government. Obamacare thus represents an attack on our liberty.
Virginia Attorney General Kenneth T. Cuccinelli filed a lawsuit challenging this law. Mr. Cuccinelli said, “This case is not about health care so much as it is about liberty and the outer reaches of federal power in our constitutional system.” U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson agreed in his Dec. 13 ruling that this law “exceeds the constitutional boundaries of congressional power.”
Tyranny is the arbitrary or unrestrained exercise of power. Mr. Hudson said in his decision, “The unchecked expansion of congressional power to the limits suggested by the minimum essential coverage provision would invite unbridled exercise of federal police powers.” That sounds like tyranny. In this new year, we should support those who defend our liberties and fight this health care law.
DR. DOUGLAS H. MAHN
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Matt Kibbe
The short-term deal will assure long-term overspending
Get Breaking Alerts
- Obama's Afghanistan experts stumped on U.S. death toll, war costs during hearing
- NAPOLITANO: A conspiracy so vast
- Comma on!: Twitter erupts over Obama-Castro 'marriage'
- All-out war breaks out in GOP over budget pact
- GOP Rep. Tim Murphy rolls out mental health legislation
- Biden guarantees victory on immigration reform
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- Selfie at heart of Obama fiasco to stay secret
- White House faces press revolt over access to Obama's South Africa flight
- MALCOLM/REIMER: Over-criminalization undermines respect for legal system