Torres moves to Chelsea in British transfer record

Question of the Day

What has been the biggest debacle on Obama's watch?

View results

LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND (AP) - Fernando Torres was sold from Liverpool to Chelsea on Monday for a British record transfer fee, said to be 50 million pounds ($79.5 million).

Monday’s deal is soccer’s third-most expensive transfer, exceeded by Real Madrid’s 2009 purchases of Cristiano Ronaldo from Manchester United for 80 million pounds ($131 million) and Kaka from AC Milan for 65 million euros ($92 million). It will be a similar figure to that received by Inter Milan when the Italian team sold Zlatan Ibrahimovic to Barcelona the same year, a deal that sent Samuel Eto’o to Inter.

Liverpool, purchased last fall by the parent company of the Boston Red Sox, described Torres‘ move Monday as a “British-record transfer fee” after he signed a 5 1/2-year deal with Chelsea. Manchester City forward Carlos Tevez was recognized as being the previous most expensive signing within British soccer after moving from Manchester United for about 47 million pounds (then $76 million) in 2009.

Chelsea, the defending Premier League champion, also signed Brazilian defender David Luiz from Benfica, a deal Portuguese reports said was worth 25 million euros ($34 million). The Blue are trying to make up a 10-point gap with first-place Manchester United.

Torres scored 81 goals in 142 games during 3 1/2 years at Liverpool but grew frustrated as the 18-time English champions struggled to keep pace with England’s leading clubs. Liverpool has not won the league since 1990.

“I am very happy with my transfer to Chelsea and I am looking forward very much to helping my new teammates this season and for many years to come,” Torres said. “Having played against Chelsea many times since coming to England, and in some very big games I will never forget, I know there are many great players here and I will work hard to win a place in the team. I hope I can score some important goals for the supporters to enjoy this season.”

Torres‘ first game for Chelsea is likely to be against Liverpool at Stamford Bridge on Sunday. he joins a Blues roster that already includes Didier Drogba and Nicolas Anelka.

“This is a very significant day for Chelsea, capturing one of the best players in the world with his peak years ahead of him,” Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck said. “We have long admired the talents of a player who is a proven goalscorer in English football and Fernando’s arrival is a sign of our continuing high ambitions. I hope every Chelsea fan is as excited as I am with this news.”

Liverpool replaced Torres by breaking the club’s record transfer fee twice in the space of a few hours to sign Luis Suarez from Ajax and Andy Carroll from Newcastle _ for a combined total of 58 million pounds ($93 million).

Torres, who had 2 1/2 years left on his contract at Liverpool, has regained some form over the last few weeks after struggling early in the season as he recovered from a groin injury. Three of his nine goals this season have come in the past four games.

Torres remained one of the most sought-after players despite a disappointing contribution to Spain’s World Cup win in South Africa last year. In 2008, he scored the winning goal in Spain’s 1-0 victory over Germany in the European Championship final.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Get Adobe Flash player
You Might Also Like
  • Nathan Walker waits to take the ice during the Capitals' development camp at the Kettler Capitals Iceplex in Arlington on Monday, July 9, 2012. (Ryan M.L. Young/The Washington Times)

    Nathan Walker’s NHL dreams send him around the world

  • Washington Nationals' Anthony Rendon, third from left, smiles as he warms up with his teammates who were were wearing t-shirts in support of him for the All Star game before an interleague baseball game against the Baltimore Orioles at Nationals Park, Tuesday, July 8, 2014, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

    Anthony Rendon not an All-Star, but he’s been Nats’ MVP

  • Baltimore Orioles manager Buck Showalter speaks during a media availability in the dugout before an interleague baseball game against the Washington Nationals at Nationals Park, Monday, July 7, 2014, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

    LOVERRO: Suck-up Buck Showalter needs history lesson

  • Argentina's Maxi Rodriguez, left, celebrates with goalkeeper Sergio Romero after scoring the decisive goal during the World Cup semifinal soccer match between the Netherlands and Argentina at the Itaquerao Stadium in Sao Paulo, Brazil, Wednesday, July 9, 2014. Argentina beat the Netherlands 4-2 in a penalty shootout to reach the World Cup final. (AP Photo/Frank Augstein)

    Argentina beats Dutch in shootout to reach World Cup final

  • Washington Redskins safety Tanard Jackson speaks during a media availability after an NFL football training camp practice at Redskins Park, Friday, Aug. 3, 2012 in Ashburn, Va. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

    Tanard Jackson suspended indefinitely by NFL — again

  • Celebrities In The News
  • Hall of Fame Inductees, KISS, Paul Stanley, Peter Criss, Gene Simmons, and Ace Frehley speak at the 2014 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony on Thursday, April, 10, 2014 in New York. (Photo by Charles Sykes/Invision/AP)

    KISS rocker Gene Simmons touts 1 percent life: ‘It’s fantastic’

  • This image from video released by Funny Or Die shows President Obama, left, with actor-comedian Zach Galifianakis during an appearance on "Between Two Ferns," the digital short with a laser focus on reaching people aged 18 to 34. The president urged young people to sign up for the new health care plan through an appearance posted Tuesday, March 11, 2014, on the comic website Funny or Die, bypassing TV talk show titans like Jimmy Fallon or Jimmy Kimmel for an online audience. (AP Photo/Funny Or Die)

    Obama’s ‘Ferns’ interview gets Emmy nod

  • ** FILE ** In this Nov. 12, 2013, file photo, actor Alec Baldwin leaves court in New York. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig, File)

    Alec Baldwin in talks to play Rob Ford-like mayor in new NBC drama