Witness: Jackson’s kids watched fight to save dad

Question of the Day

What has been the biggest debacle on Obama's watch?

View results

LOS ANGELES (AP) - One of Michael Jackson’s bodyguards says two of the pop star’s children watched as the doctor charged in the singer’s death frantically attempted to revive him in the bedroom of his rented mansion.

Faheem Muhammad testified Tuesday in Los Angeles that Dr. Conrad Murray appeared panicked as he performed chest compressions on the singer on a bed. Muhammad says the doctor asked at one point whether anyone knew CPR.

The guard says he saw Jackson’s children Prince and Paris watching their father on the bed with his eyes and mouth wide open. Muhammad says Paris was crying on the floor, and he eventually escorted them from the room.

The testimony came during a preliminary hearing to determine if Murray must stand trial on a charge of involuntary manslaughter for injecting Jackson with an anesthetic to help him sleep. Murray has pleaded not guilty.


AP Entertainment Writer Anthony McCartney contributed to this story.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP’s earlier story is below.

LOS ANGELES (AP) _ A choreographer who worked with Michael Jackson on his ill-fated concert tour told a judge Tuesday he clashed with Jackson’s doctor and others over the superstar’s health six days before he died.

Choreographer Kenny Ortega testified that he was summoned to Jackson’s home a day after letting the superstar skip rehearsal because he seemed sick and out of shape.

Dr. Conrad Murray and others suggested Jackson should not have been sent home because he was physically and emotionally fine, Ortega testified, adding he was told not to try to be Jackson’s doctor or psychiatrist.

The testimony came during a preliminary hearing to determine if Murray, the singer’s personal physician, will be tried on a charge of involuntary manslaughter.

Authorities contend Murray gave Jackson a lethal dose of the powerful anesthetic propofol and other sedatives in the bedroom of his rented mansion before he died on June 25, 2009.

Deputy District Attorney David Walgren said in his opening statement that Jackson was already dead when Murray summoned help and tried to conceal his administering of propofol to the pop star, ordering a bodyguard to collect items before paramedics were called.

Later in the hearing, Ortega testified that Jackson had gone home early from rehearsals on June 19.

“He didn’t look well at all,” Ortega testified. “Michael was chilled and soft-spoken. … He wasn’t in the kind of condition to be at rehearsal.”

Story Continues →

View Entire Story

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

blog comments powered by Disqus
TWT Video Picks