- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Middle Eastern firm’s deal to manage U.S. cargo port raises security concerns
- Bob McDonnell’s defense: Lonely wife developed ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House Republicans unveil bill to speed deportations of border children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
Clarity of the Constitution
Question of the Day
If the Constitution can be obscured behind a bewildering array of administrative laws and regulations, then the few can impose their oppressive, manipulative doctrines on the many. The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act is just the most prominent of recent 2,000-page laws that attack our Bill of Rights. It does so by confiscating speech and religious freedoms without legal recourse and Ninth Amendment freedoms guaranteed but not enumerated by our Constitution. Politicians offered enchanting material security, while obscuring subservience to rules, vastly increasing their power.
Alexander Hamilton explained how to read the Constitution in the Federalist Papers. The essence of our Constitution embodies positively allowed actions. Intentionally, the multitude of actions not allowed by each government branch remains unexpressed. Therefore, Hamilton in Federalist No. 78 uses the term “manifest tenor” meaning clearly visible direction of thought, and in Federalist No. 81, rejects a popularly acclaimed “spirit,” which accommodates tortured, backward-engineered homilies needed for grievous schemes. With Hamilton’s guidance, a document proclaiming limited government and hemmed in by a Preamble exalting human freedom and a Bill of Rights demanding human freedom may be inconvenient, but not that difficult to understand.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- McCLAUGHRY: Finish off the "Islamic State" quickly and cheaply
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Kerry's credibility questioned as fighting in Gaza rages