- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
Colts owner Irsay delivers message, tweet by tweet
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - When Colts linebacker Clint Session missed practice, owner Jim Irsay let everyone know. When he was touting a Colts promotion, Irsay said he would fly in the winner from anywhere because, hey, “this is the NFL” and he takes his “dreammaking seriously!”
And when an earthquake was reported in Indiana, Irsay declared that Lucas Oil Stadium “was built 2 rock N she loves 2 roll!”
It took some persuading to get the 51-year-old Irsay, who still who prefers crinkled newspapers and hardcover books to the Internet and Kindles, to join the twitterati.
“The young folks in the office were trying to get me do it, and I said, ‘Oh, I don’t know.’ Then my daughter Kalen said, ‘You should do it,’” Irsay said. “When I got a vision of what it might be about, I said ‘I’ll go forward.’”
Now he can’t stop.
Since opening his account Dec. 1, Irsay has posted an average of four dozen tweets per day, some of them saltier than others. He has more than 21,000 followers, some of whom hope to win free tickets from Irsay’s continual contests. This week’s big prize: Owner’s box passes for Saturday’s first-round playoff game against the Jets.
His Twitter feed is a far cry from being an extension of the Colts' public relations office, nor does it reflect stark statements from a stodgy NFL owner trying to be careful in a year where labor disagreements threaten next season.
Irsay listens to everything from The Beatles to Pink Floyd to Pearl Jam, and has written his own poetry, songs and short stories. Like Pete Carroll, guitar player Irsay touts his favorite songs and bands.
Unafraid to wonder “R u trippin?” in his tweets, Irsay has made some tongue-in-cheek, eyebrow-raising comments for a man running a multimillion-dollar franchise, including:
_ “Don’t ever mix NiQuil and Ambien…it’ll give U gas and u might end up on Capitol Hill.”
_ “I’m beginning to hear voices…and there’s no one around….”
_ “OK…Let’s shut it down folks,need energy tomorrow..Boxers Bed Rules apply…no,ahh,well,you know the deal,real sleep,sheets stay clean!”
If there’s a mission for Irsay in tweeting, it might be in revamping the image of league owners, at least a bit.
By Tammy Bruce
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Otter attacks, kills alligator at Florida wildlife refuge
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- R-S-P-E-C-T: Find out what it means for Obama
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- PRUDEN: Likening Putin to Hitler on Ukraine shows Hillary's shaky grasp of history
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again