- Associated Press - Friday, January 7, 2011

LOS ANGELES (AP) - A coroner’s investigator testified Friday that she found 12 bottles of a powerful anesthetic that contributed to the death of Michael Jackson in the singer’s bedroom and closet after he died.

Investigator Elissa Fleak said nine of the bottles were found in a bag labeled “Baby Essentials” in the closet. Other medications and syringes were discovered during searches of Jackson’s rented mansion after his June 25, 2009, death and again four days later.

Fleak was the first investigator to describe in detail the items authorities recovered from Jackson’s bedroom.

She took the witness stand on the fourth day of a preliminary hearing to determine if there is enough evidence for Dr. Conrad Murray to stand trial for involuntary manslaughter. He has pleaded not guilty.

Authorities contend Jackson died after Murray gave him a lethal dose of propofol and other sedatives in the bedroom then delayed calling 911 while he collected and bagged medications.

Fleak said she found six vials of the painkiller lidocaine, as well as other prescription medications and syringes, including two found next to Jackson’s bed.

During cross-examination by the defense, Fleak was asked whether some of the items would have been within reach from the bed by someone of Jackson’s height and build.

A judge didn’t allow the investigator to answer that question, but Fleak did say several of the items, including a used bottle of propofol and syringe, were within two feet of the bed.

Murray’s attorney, J. Michael Flanagan, asked Fleak whether she checked to see how much liquid remained in each of the vials.

“There were so many vials, I don’t remember which ones were more full or less full,” Fleak said.

Fleak was told to search the room after police detectives interviewed Murray and he disclosed that he gave the singer propofol injections and several other medications before the singer’s death, court records state.

Earlier in the day, a former girlfriend of Murray testified that he had been distracted when he called her on the morning of the singer’s death, and she heard commotion in the background.

Witness Sade Anding said she realized at one point that Murray wasn’t paying attention to her. She heard coughing and mumbling but didn’t recognize the voice as Murray, she said.

“I heard commotion as if the phone was in a pocket or something,” Anding said.

The testimony added details to a timeline being developed by prosecutors at the hearing.

Story Continues →