- RNC ‘autopsy’ authors: ‘Tremendous progress’ from a year ago
- Gun control groups turn to private sector to push crackdowns
- Study to test ‘chocolate’ pills for heart health
- Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay arrested for DWI
- Obama, Abbas to meet Monday morning regarding peace talks
- Guinness quits New York’s St. Patrick’s Day parade over gay march prohibition
- RNC goes on offensive with ad buys in 14 targeted states
- Saudi Arabia bans 50 ‘blasphemous’ baby names — like Benjamin
- Jack Daniel’s up in arms at Tenn. push to ‘weaken’ whiskey label
- Sen. Murphy: Putin ‘making this up as we go along’
Avs acquire goalie Varlamov from Capitals
With money to spend and holes the fill, the Avalanche have been quite active in free agency. They picked up a solid defenseman in Hejda, who played last season for the Columbus Blue Jackets. The 33-year-old suited up in 77 games during the 2010-11 season, scoring five goals and dishing out 15 assists. He also averaged more than 21 minutes of ice time.
Hejda’s signing comes on the heels of the team agreeing to terms with defensemen Ryan O’Byrne and Matt Hunwick on Thursday.
Another addition to the offense could be the return of forward Peter Mueller, who sat out all last season with a concussion.
“We are certainly hoping and all indications are that Peter is progressing well,” Sherman said. “He’s had a good summer of training, of getting up to the levels where an elite athlete has to train, symptom-free. We’re looking forward to him being cleared to play in camp and hopefully getting him back for the season.”
As for what’s next on the free-agent front, Sherman said the team may take a breather.
“Been a very busy day,” Sherman said. “Certainly, with the moves we made today and the number of players we’ve added to a roster that we already feel strongly about, right now, it’s a scenario where we continue to focus on our remaining restricted free agents and get ready for camp.”
AP Sports Writer Joseph White in Washington, D.C., contributed to this report.
Follow Pat Graham on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/pgraham34
By David A. Clarke Jr.
Blame Washington's intelligence failure, not lack of police
- CURL: We overhauled U.S. health care to insure 4.2 million people?
- California gun store owner refuses to hand over customer list
- Bill Maher: God a 'psychotic mass murderer' who 'drowns babies'
- Guinness quits New York's St. Patrick's Day parade over gay march prohibition
- Crimea votes in favor of secession; U.S. rejects
- Obama makes play for Obamacare in March Madness-themed ad
- Firefighters discover church's Bible in Harlem rubble following gas explosion
- Ron Paul: 'Washington does not care about our privacy'
- McCaul offers scenario where missing Malaysian jet lands in hostile country to be use as missile
- College group's diversity event canceled after excluding white people
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014