- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Avs acquire goalie Varlamov from Capitals
With money to spend and holes the fill, the Avalanche have been quite active in free agency. They picked up a solid defenseman in Hejda, who played last season for the Columbus Blue Jackets. The 33-year-old suited up in 77 games during the 2010-11 season, scoring five goals and dishing out 15 assists. He also averaged more than 21 minutes of ice time.
Hejda’s signing comes on the heels of the team agreeing to terms with defensemen Ryan O’Byrne and Matt Hunwick on Thursday.
Another addition to the offense could be the return of forward Peter Mueller, who sat out all last season with a concussion.
“We are certainly hoping and all indications are that Peter is progressing well,” Sherman said. “He’s had a good summer of training, of getting up to the levels where an elite athlete has to train, symptom-free. We’re looking forward to him being cleared to play in camp and hopefully getting him back for the season.”
As for what’s next on the free-agent front, Sherman said the team may take a breather.
“Been a very busy day,” Sherman said. “Certainly, with the moves we made today and the number of players we’ve added to a roster that we already feel strongly about, right now, it’s a scenario where we continue to focus on our remaining restricted free agents and get ready for camp.”
AP Sports Writer Joseph White in Washington, D.C., contributed to this report.
Follow Pat Graham on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/pgraham34
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- EDITORIAL: More Lerner smoking-gun emails at IRS
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- Former Blue Angels commander relieved of duty for alleged misconduct
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.