- House and Senate negotiators reach two-year budget deal
- Congress seeks ban on in-flight calls
- Michelle Malkin’s Twitchy site sold to owners of Townhall, HotAir: report
- GM’s Barra to be first woman to run top American carmaker
- China: Poisonous smog is a military asset, if you think about it
- Texas woman admits to sending ricin to Obama
- Ron Paul on son Rand: ‘I think he probably will’ run for president
- Cold War heats up again in the Arctic: Russian airfield reactivated after 20 years
- 6-year-old boy suspended for sexual harassment over kiss
- Voters deciding Mass. congressional contest
Calif. governor, first lady to meet royal couple
SACRAMENTO, CALIF. (AP) - Gov. Jerry Brown and first lady Anne Gust Brown plan to greet Prince William and his wife, Kate, when they arrive in Los Angeles next week _ marking the second time Brown has hosted British royalty as governor.
Brown’s office on Friday released his itinerary during the official visit to California by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, and plans show the governor and other officials will greet the couple during their first official overseas tour when they arrive at Los Angeles International Airport on July 8.
“The governor and Anne are delighted that they’ve chosen California as their single stop in the United States,” said the governor’s spokeswoman Elizabeth Ashford. “The governor will talk about the strength of the relationship with California: tourism, trade and environmentalism, and there’s some possibility they’ll talk about corgis.”
The Browns have a 7-year-old Pembroke Welsh corgi named Sutter, known as California’s first dog. The breed is a small herding dog and has been a favorite of the prince’s grandmother, Queen Elizabeth II. The queen has bred corgis for years.
When Brown was California’s governor the first time in 1977, he hosted Prince Charles, picking him up from the Sacramento Executive Airport in his blue 1974 Plymouth sedan. During that visit, the governor’s staff served cold roast beef and California cheeses picked up from a local deli.
Prince William and Kate began their North American visit in Canada this week. In California, they are scheduled to attend a reception the evening they arrive that will be hosted by the British consul general, Dame Barbara Hay.
The royal couple is scheduled the next day to attend a charity polo match in Santa Barbara, followed by a black-tie dinner to introduce British film talent to Hollywood executives.
They wrap up their three-day tour Sunday with a visit to an inner-city arts program and a job fair for American servicemen transitioning to civilian life.
The United Kingdom is the state’s top overseas tourism market, according to the California Travel and Tourism Commission. Last year 671,000 UK travelers visited the state generating $670 million in economic activity.
By Tom Fitton
New photos confirm the attack's coordination and its cover-up
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- Somber duty: U.S. presidents in hot demand at Mandela's memorial
- American bourbon now better than Scottish whiskey: U.K.-born expert
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- FITTON: A closer look at the Benghazi lie
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral
- Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Raul Castro at Nelson Mandela's funeral
- Troops forced to rely on welfare, holiday charity
- NYC alarms with notice: Immediately surrender your rifle
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Find the latest news and happening that effect those in the Washington D.C., Northern Virginia and Maryland Metro region.
Global economy, the civilizing power of markets and public morals.
News and opinion from a Millennial Urbanite with Southern sensibilities,
Notes from a running nerd: musings and more on all things running.
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow