- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Wild bring back goalie Josh Harding on 1-year deal
Question of the Day
The team made the announcement on the first day of NHL free agency, putting a dependable goalie behind Niklas Backstrom. The 27-year-old Harding missed all of last season with torn ligaments in his right knee, leaving his future with the team in doubt.
Veteran Jose Theodore was brought in and played well, but Theodore’s desire to compete for a full-time starting job made the decision easier to retain Harding. Theodore signed a two-year deal with the Florida Panthers.
Harding went 9-12 with a 3.05 goals-against average during the 2009-10 season. He has started 65 games for the Wild in five seasons. He was a second round pick of the Wild in 2002 and has spent his entire NHL career with Minnesota, going 28-39-4 with a 2.66 goals-against average.
Another one of the Wild’s unrestricted free agents, left wing Andrew Brunette, signed a one-year contract with the Chicago Blackhawks. Forwards Chuck Kobasew, John Madden and Antti Miettinen are the other notable Wild veterans who became unrestricted free agents. None is expected to be re-signed by the Wild.
Also Friday, the Wild cut ties with defenseman Cam Barker after he cleared waivers, and he signed a two-year deal with the Edmonton Oilers. The Wild traded their 2009 first-round draft pick, defenseman Nick Leddy, and defenseman Kim Johnsson to the Blackhawks for Barker in February 2010.
By Richard Rahn
Treaty would let tyrants peer into Americans' financial information
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- D.C. plans to seek stay of order striking down ban on handguns in public
- Islamic State opens 'marriage bureau' for single jihadists
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq