- DOJ reaches largest-ever federal government settlement over auto loan discrimination
- U.S. Navy to start giving gay couples marriage benefits in Japan
- Sen. Harry Reid goes to hospital as a precaution
- Fla.’s Trey Radel exits rehab, ‘excited’ to resume congressional role
- U.S. nuclear general boozed it up, chased ‘hot women’ in Russia: report
- 45 Calif. students at one school test positive for tuberculosis exposure
- Rob Ford on women: Give them cash ‘and they are happy’
- Ku Klux Klan group holds recruitment meeting in Maryland
- Airport assassination: Mayor, 3 others killed at Manila airport
- Tea party-type lawmakers take mysterious, off-books trip to Mideast
Kate, William depart US after charming Hollywood
Question of the Day
LOS ANGELES (AP) - They came, they schmoozed, they fundraised.
Following a nonstop weekend that included a few chukkers of polo, time with Hollywood’s own version of royalty and several events that raised millions of dollars for charity, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge headed back to the U.K. on Sunday.
The U.S. portion of their travels was a somewhat low key affair compared to their northern visit, where _ French separatists aside _ the duke and duchess were greeted with rapturous welcomes as they crisscrossed the Commonwealth country.
Excitement in California was more muted, though small crowds of well-wishers waving British and American flags lined up to catch a glimpse of the newlyweds and well-heeled fans paid thousands of dollars to sip champagne in the couple’s presence at a charity polo match in Santa Barbara on Saturday.
Disneyland, the Hollywood sign and the beaches were not on the couple’s agenda, but the duke and duchess managed to see a sweeping sampling of the Los Angeles area.
They also attended a star-studded, black-tie soiree to promote British filmmaking talent where the guests included Tom Hanks and Jennifer Lopez. On Sunday, they paid a brief visit to Skid Row, downtown’s gritty homeless core.
Like many who saw the couple, the performers were taken by their easy charm. Jessica Cornejo, 19, said she was thrilled when William gave a double thumbs-up and told them “brilliant” at the end of their performance.
Many at the school were impressed by how down-to-earth and casual the couple were and said they put everyone at ease.
The trip also included a rare display of public affection. After scoring four goals at the polo game and stepping onto a stage to collect the winner’s trophy from his wife, William gave her a kiss on each cheek.
Aside from the famous kiss on the balcony of Buckingham Palace on their wedding day, it was one of the first times they have embraced in public.
The three-day trip was a tightly scripted affair, though the William and Kate, as she is better known, took a few moments on Sunday morning to greet a small crowd that assembled near the home of the British consul general, where they stayed.
After attending a swanky reception to raise money for Tusk Trust, an African wildlife conservation group, their final stop before departing for the U.K. was with the group ServiceNation: Mission Serve, which aims to help veterans find jobs.
By John McAfee
- Breaking Fad: Alligators becoming the new pit bulls for drug dealers, cops say
- D.C. to tout Obamacare among youth waiting for Air Jordans
- Huge backlash mounts over suspension of 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson
- TARGET credit card theft swells to 40 million victims
- Special ops vets slam military benefit cuts
- Obama: 2014 will be 'breakthrough year' for U.S.
- Dems use new filibuster rules to approve DHS nominee Alejandro Mayorkas under investigation
- Obamacare 'pajamas boy' gets roundly mocked
- Citing 'unfair system,' Obama commutes sentences for 8 crack offenders
- Homeland Security helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Our Choice: Individual responsibility and self-government or the abandonment of the American Revolution
Al Maurer provides a common sense, conservatarian, Constitutional conservative perspective from the battleground state of Colorado
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow